SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyleee217

my new rose dropped all its leaves. is it dead?

amyleee217
15 years ago

I read the faq but was hoping for more specifics.. I usually grow orchids but just started with roses this season. I just bought a new floribunda rose about a month ago - it was in sad shape (severely underwatered by store employees) and a rescue plant at $4.00 . i brought it home and cleaned it up and watered it - and new growth started and it even bloomed and produced 2 nice flowers. i gave it some granular fertilizer like i did my other hybrid tea (which is doing fabulously and was not a rescue). i noticed one of the flowers smelled really rose-ish, and the other one smelled kind of stale. all the sudden, the flowers died, the leaves rapidly started turning yellow and becoming crunchy, and now there are absolutely zero leaves remaining.

what happened? is my plant dead? if not, when can I expect new growth? how can I tell if it is dead?

we did have some pretty hot weather around the time the leaf drop started. would that be a factor?

I have all my roses growing in large plastic pots in a small south facing back yard that is shaded by several trees...

thanks so much for your replies

:)

Amy

Comments (3)