SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bear_with_me

Comments on Soil Test Results

bear_with_me
10 years ago

My state extension does not do soil testing for home gardeners. WA State. As far as I could determine.

It took me a while to put it all together, then I finally got it tested.

The results will have a big impact on my gardening.

The news to me was the soil was so acidic. I expected acidic but my soil pH was 5.05. Much more acidic than I guessed. They gave recommendations for lime, which I bought today for my raised beds, trees and small orchard. They also recommended some magnesium, and sulfate, although the levels did not look low to me. I guess that is for optimum growth.

This year some of my new trees and plants had yellow or yellowish leaves, and some had stunted growth. I was surmising iron deficiency or magnesium deficiency. I planned on adding ironite or similar, and Epsom salts. Based on the test results, the iron level was actually very high. Magnesium level was OK although they suggested adding some. The big issue was the pH.

I was concerned that anything I did might raise the level of salts. The salts level was low, so I have room to do what is needed.

I expected I would need to add potassium and phosphorus, but the report says not to. Just a nitrogen source.

There were some trace issues with copper and boron. I'm not going to supplement those - the amounts are so small, I don't want to over do it and make the soil toxic.

It took me years to have the soil tested. Now I'm glad I did. Most of my garden does pretty well, but some problems as I noted. The vegetables took a while to get started. Some of that may be the cool weather here, but some might be the soil. If I went with my instinct, I would have wasted money on unnecessary supplements, and not done what was really needed, and possibly done harm.

I can't promise that my yields will be better in 2014 than 2013, but I hope I'm doing the right thing now.

This post was edited by Bear_With_Me on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 22:32

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor