SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

The Rose Field This Week, and Elsewhere in the Garden, Too.

hartwood
15 years ago

Grab a second cup of coffee, settle in, and I'll tell you what's been happening in the garden for the past couple of weeks. (I didn't see a significant reason to update last week . . . mulch, mulch, and more mulch. Not too interesting.)

After the first two weeks of incredible change and progress in the Rose Field, the past two weeks have seemed pretty monotonous. Mulching the rows is taking way longer and is much harder work than I imagined it would be. The hot sunny weather has made for shortened work days, so that's the main reason that it's taking so long. Also, I've discovered that mulching the way I'm doing it is really a two-person job -- one person to lay the paper and wet it with the hose (or shout for the second person to man the hose as a breeze catches the paper), and another person to fetch the mulch from the pile and come behind and spread it on the row. We're about 2/3 finished with the current 10 rows of roses.

{{gwi:307857}}

As we work, sometimes we find surprises in the mulch:

{{gwi:307858}}

I have been planting a few roses in the field, filling holes in the rows and progressing down the north fence with the ramblers. Fortunately, the soil is soft enough to dig big holes, so I put in 4 Geschwind ramblers that I have been holding in big pots all year. I'll leave space as I continue to plant along the fence, because I have 3 more Geschwinds coming from Palatine in November. This will be the first time that I experiment with planting bare roots directly in the ground in the fall -- I expect it will do much better than my usual method of potting them and holding them in the garage.

The roses that are in the ground in the field are very happy, and they're putting out new growth for their fall flush of bloom. Here are a couple of photos of the Chinas, which are showing the most improvement over their status from when they lived in pots.

{{gwi:307859}}

{{gwi:307860}}

In the heat, I've been spending quite a bit of time in the shade assessing the roses in the driveway -- dividing them into groups so I have a better idea of what I have left to plant where. What I found is that I have a whole lot more extra roses than I thought I did. I experimented a bit with winter propagation early in the year (Anyone remember the photo of the Costco chrome rack with grow lights in my basement?). I may tidy them up and see if I can have a plant sale . . . or offer them to friends in trade. I'll have to go through them to see exactly what I have, but I remember that many of them are wichuriana ramblers (Gardenia, Alberic Barbier, Francois Juranville, etc.), I know there a couple of New Dawns and Felicias, one Heidelberg . . . and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head. I have to do something, because this year's crop of rooted cuttings has been very, very successful, and I'm not exactly sure how I can hold all of this stuff over the winter.

The other theme from the past couple of weeks has been the completion of two major building projects . . .

The picnic pavilion, officially dubbed the "Tiki Hut"

{{gwi:307861}}

and the barn:

{{gwi:307863}}

It's so nice to be able to say that something is actually finished. When you have an old house, there aren't too many opportunities to do that.

See you next week,

Connie

Comments (11)