SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

using a soil probe to monitor water

michaelg
12 years ago

I mentioned this in a thread but thought some people would be interested in more detail. Beginners often don't know how much they are watering, and us veterans are likely to be uncertain about how to deal with the unprecedented weather conditions. First, everyone should determine how much they are watering per week by measuring the output of the hose or other system. Second, we need to monitor the effect on the soil and plants of the watering we do. One helpful tool is a soil probe.

Agronomists and farmers use a pointed metal rod with a T-bar handle to check the results of irrigation or rain. If you can find or fabricate something like this, it would be ideal, but I just use a thin bamboo stake with a sharpened point.

Assuming we have loam, silt, or clay soil, a probe will slide easily through soil that is saturated. If soil is moist rather than saturated, the probe can be pushed through against moderate resistance. But a dry soil layer will stop the probe.

Soil generally dries from the top downward, but during a summer drought, the subsoil will dry out, leaving a wetter layer above from irrigation or rain. The soil probe will tell you how deep this moist layer is. If it is less than 12-14" deep, you need to be watering more heavily and probably less frequently.

Or if you hit a layer that the probe just slips through, that would indicate a zone of saturated (waterlogged) soil. Sniff the probe to see if it smells sewagey, indicating persistent waterlogging. You might also discover voids created by tunneling animals.

Important--

The soil probe is best used after an irrigation or rain, but not immediately after. Watering creates a zone of saturated soil that needs time to drain, as water is drawn from the large soil pores into capillary pores and adjacent drier zones downward or sideways. Allow a few hours for 1" of water to drain through medium soils, and 12-24 hours for clay soils. Of course it can be interesting to explore with the probe at any time, but to check on your irrigation, allow time for drainage.

I noticed most of my plants starting only weak growth after the second flush was deadheaded. I didn't know whether to attribute that to water or just to the unusual heat. After watering Friday, I probed the soil yesterday and learned that the subsoil is dry and the moist layer wasn't deep enough.

With temperatures running 4 degrees above normal for two months plus, I knew more water than usual would be needed, but I didn't know how much more.

Comments (17)