SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Autumn/Fall - the end of summer? or start of garden year?

User
10 years ago

Although we are not yet at the autumn equinox, there is a nip in the air and the first leaves have started falling. A bittersweet time, especially for those of us who have a short and chancy summer.....and in the past (pre-gardening) a time of slight depression, hunkering down and getting fat (in my case). Of course, gardening has radically changed my perspective. Yep, the garden looks distinctly tatty, especially since I have slacked off with the incessant hand-watering. Just this one task takes me well over an hour a day and must be done before all else - with a pot garden such as mine, there is no delaying till after lunch - no taking off for a day or two (and this year, haring back and forth to the wood has been an especial nightmare, even though I didn't grow many of the usuals such as a greenhouse full of bell peppers, scented leaf geraniums, south african bulbs (which have been kept in suspended dormancy, under the benches). As well as watering, the other summer tasks are weeding and harvesting......and I have whined on enough about both to make my position fairly clear - boring, boring, sweaty and stressy. In contrast, autumn is busy, exciting and replete with possibility. Although we are continually advised to live in the 'now', to savour the moment and so forth, I find myself doing that usually as a defensive fear of the future or general lack of foresight........and will happily drift off on next years plans WHEN IT WILL ALL BE MUCH BETTER......and autumn is the main dreaming season where all is still potential, unmarred by failure, weather or chance.
So, lets see - there are bulbs to plant, cuttings to take, seeds to sow, clearing, chopping, pruning, planning.....while the lawnmower gets tucked in the garage and the hose, which spends the summer permanently snaked about the allotment (the handle is broke and 100m of hose weighs a ton and takes forever to wind up), is finally stowed at the back of the shed.
Yep, autumn used to be a signal to start on the Prozac but now, it is the beginning of a whole new exciting gardening year - what's to fear?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm