SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronica_p8

I've missed the composting forum!

veronica_p8
13 years ago

As my first garden ventured into the actual growing and harvesting stage ... (and when I found awesome people on the seed exchange and am planning to try winter sowing) my thoughts of compost and soil faded into the background ...

Now that I'm staring at the white stuff covering the back yard (I figure if you don't mention its name, it goes away sooner) I'm thinking about spring and new beds and planting flowers for the first time and edibles for the second.

I need to construct new beds :-\ That requires ... soil.

I have a couple of bins full of compost (about a cubic yard each) and I've stolen trash bags full of leaves to hopefully make leaf mold for organic matter and mulch, but I'm considering lasagna beds around my veggie garden to grow flowers, as well as flowers and plants in other areas of the yard. I was going to smother the grass (weeds, mostly, actually) with either cardboard or newspaper and then pile compost (layered? prob?) on to grow in.

I'm also debating spending the cash (which I don't have) to have a bunch of mushroom manure delivered ... I'm thinking a few yards at least to offset the delivery cost (I wish I had a pickup truck) ...

So ... I've missed the convos, and look forward to reading past threads through the cold weather. If anyone sees any glaring problems, oversights, or pitfalls with my proposed spring planting, please let me know!

-veronica

Comments (5)