SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

An observation on the cycles and stages of roses

sherryocala
13 years ago

After my last flush at the end of July I was all puffed up at how strong the roses were. Then a few started looking a little peeked. Clotilde Soupert's leaves went yellowy en masse, and then she was all sticks (I'd never seen her interior before), and then I got a little panicked. Is she in too much shade (the sunny one was fine)? Is she hungry or not liking the pH in that spot? I thought about feeding them all last weekend but didn't have the energy. Even Le Vesuve looked a little wan. I knew rose bushes cycle from lush green foliage to bloom to aging, falling foliage. I've seen it, but this seemed different, and it WAS different, but apparently, it was also the same. I noticed tonight that Clotilde has new green leaves that are starting to hide her canes. And I'm wondering if Sweet Chariot's foliage isn't naturally more of a yellowy green. And Le Vesuve is looking far from skimpy, more muscular in his foliage, putting on flower buds. I was afraid they were starving, having used up all their energy on the last bloom, but new lush leaves are everywhere after the recent rain. I'm really not obsessing, and all along I've tried to learn their habits and phases, thinking I surely was paying attention and wasn't missing anything, but I'm not silly enough to think I can actually have nature firmly by the tail after so short an acquaintance. Her moves surprise me as well as reassure me with their patterns even when they're not quite pat, but her rhythms also evoke a growing confidence in me, a trust if you will that the roses have a program to follow kind of like children growing up and going their way. I can attend to them, but I might be better off simply to watch them and learn their ways even when they try to fool me.

Sherry

Comments (12)