SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Dakota's Sun, Dakota Son & The Passing of Robert L. Smith

Two of the roses that I have fallen in love with were bred by a little known nursery man and hybridizer named Robert L. Smith. Both roses are rare, little known and hard to come by. The roses are Dakota Sun and Dakota's Song and are the only two of Mr. Smiths roses in commerce. But, both are outstanding cultivars, bred from parent stock of Griffith Buck breeding.

I was browsing the web this morning and did a google search on Mr. Smith and found an obituary stating that Mr. Smith had passed on last year. Below are excerpts from that notice that relate to his life as a plantsman:

"�Robert LeRoy Smith, age 83 of River Falls, Wisconsin and formerly of Mitchell, South Dakota, died on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at Grace Health Care in River Falls�

� Robert was born the son of Robert Lloyd and Katherine (Heintz) Smith on July 22, 1927 in Mitchell, South Dakota�

� Horticulture was his passion, and in 1966, he and wife Kathleen started and ran Smith�s Greenhouse and Nursery and in 1988, Smithberry Farm�

�Robert was a plant breeder and is credited with introducing two rose cultivars, 'Dakota Sun' and 'Dakota Song'."

Here now are images of the two roses that he bred:

{{gwi:316819}}

Dakota Sun

{{gwi:316821}}

Dakota's Song

Both roses are rare and hard to come by. Sam Kedum Nursery is the only source listed for both and Roses Unlimited lists Dakota Sun. Sam Kedem no longer ships roses and they are only available at his nursery in Minnesotta.

So for those of you who grow these roses, if you can, I would encourage you to please propagate them and pass them on, if possible to a nursery who might be willing to propogate and offer them for sale.

It would be very sad to see these two exceptionally fine rose cultivars dissapear. Both deserve to be kept in commerce on merrit and as a tribute to this little known American plantsman.

My two bits worth as a Canadian rose collector.

Cheers,

Rideau Rose Lad, aka Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Dakota Sun @ Help Me Find Roses

Comments (4)