SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Where to buy low salt 2-20-20 liquid fertilizer?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I was impressed with the rose nursery that sent me a tiny band of rose with a giant 4" bloom. They told me to use Daniels soluble fertilizer. I checked and found it's 40% less salt. Daniels doesn't have the 2-20-20 that I'm after.

The ratio I look for is 2-20-20 soluble fertilizer with potassium phosphate as K source (very low 7.2 salt index). Why low in nitrogen? Rose nurseries recommend planting roses in slow-released organic nitrogen, then fertilize with a soluble fertilizer at 2 week interval.

There's a University Extension that recommends slow-release nitrogen for high rain clay soil. I used alfalfa meal 2-1-2 with good results - but would like a high phosphorus soluble fertilizer for my roses next year.

Here's the info. from ehow: " When Not to Apply Superphosphate: Avoid applying superphosphate when you lime your yard. Agricultural lime prevents phosphate from being available to plants. However, those with soil with a high pH should apply superphosphate. Phosphate is not available in alkaline soils, according to Texas A&M University. To help transplants or seeds grow in the spring in alkaline soil, make sure that you band furrows or around garden areas with superphosphate before planting. Plants decline in overall health when soil is deficient in phosphate."

20% Superphosphate has the lowest salt index of 7.8 - I don't want to use high nitrogen in chemical fertilizer since nitrogen comes with the salt. What does it mean by banding furrows? Any info. on where to buy 2-20-20 soluble fertilizer with potassium phosphate would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: How much salt is in the fertilizer?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider