SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Getting my thoughts together - rose choosing!

16 years ago

Hi all.

Thanks again SO MUCH for all the help, especially with the wasps!

I've finally cleared the second area for roses and now that I"m continuing to read and look at pictures and get HOOKED (!) am trying to finalise what I'm going to start with.

To recap: I'm in Baltimore County MD, thus blackspot problems are likely inevitable. I will spray if necessary, but my garden once established will probably only get basic maintenance rather than TLC, simply because I don't have huge amounts of time especially when my professional life gets busy.

For a more mannerly climber along ~30ft of side boundary fence, ca 6.5ft high. Goal to COVER the ugliness of the fence and retaining wall itself (which is chain link on my side, then there's a concrete retaining wall, then there's picket above it on the neighbour's side up the hill). This area gets about 5hrs of full sun at FENCE level (now, in August so presumably a little more in midsummer); at ground level, not so much.

Brite Eyes (if I can FIND any)

Cl Cecile Brunner (is this one still going to get unmanageable huge?)

Any others? A 5-8ft climber is probably about right. I was going to put New Dawn here, but then I started doing the math.... (thanks to the many of you who pointed this out!). Also, how many plants for that length of fence - 2? 3?

Back fence area: fence 3ft high x ~15ft long, open land on the far side, 3-1/2ft bed to the inside (in which will go some other things, eg a limelight hydrangea, some peonies, daylilies etc).

Considering:

Clair Matin

New Dawn

Veilchenblau

There is definitely room for the plants to spread OVER the fence, to which I can also add some rebar and wire or whatever if the plants need to climb UP as well.

Also - I have a tree right on the edge of this area as well - it's kind of part built into the boundary fence on the other side, thus the trunk isn't really climbable, but the branches start about 10ft above the ground - would New Dawn or Cecile Brunner climb into that? Just a thought. It's a fairly "thin" tree - strong and tall, but not ultra bushy; seems it would allow enough light through to maybe make that possible. It would look glorious, too :)

I am completely and totally HOOKED on the roses; the more I look, the more I want to try. I have no idea if I'll be able to grow them successfully, but I'm in love with them! I can see that my "prudent research" is likely to turn into "lifelong love affair". Here's hoping!

Comments (5)