SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scorpiohorizon

Should I take the risk?

scorpiohorizon
15 years ago

Vintage Gardens is clearing out a lot of roses that they may not sell anymore--$8.50 bands. I would really, really, like to have Vielchenblau and Irish Hope. I have wanted V since I started gardening and I have a good place for it now. I tried IH once and was too new and dumb to know not to directly plant it in the ground in midsummer and lost it over winter.

Now I live one zone warmer and know a little more.

I really, really would like to take advantage of this sale, but I don't know if I should take the risk this late in the season.

My weather here is different. People think that Cleveland area is all freezing cold and snowy. But here in the west side and on the lake, we were warm enough last year to still have blooms in late October. I planted gallon potted roses in September and they all came through with flying colors. But a band? I don't know. I want to save money by getting these now, but I will lose money if they can't make it thru the winter.

Help me decide, please. The only reason I fall planted last year was because I ordered the roses before we learned we had to move, so when I got them I potted them then I moved them here with me in late July.

There are a lot of roses I want, and I'm barely keeping the family's head above finiancial disaster as it is, so this is a risk--am I saving or wasting money?

Jennifer

Comments (9)