SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mauirose_gw

Chinese Beetles

16 years ago

Getting to the bottom of my bag of tricks so feeling a little bit desperate about my Chinese Rose Beetle problem.

Remember the picture of JB damage posted by the hilarious Harryshoe awhile back? That's what all my roses look like right now. True, it's been dry and that's how the beetles like it but they are pretty much year 'round residents with over 250! hosts including hibiscus, banana, guava and heliconia all of which I grow. To paraphrase the county extension agent-I'm a Chinese Rose Beetle farmer.

Tried spraying with Neem oil which is supposed to kill their appetite so they starve. Seems to have had the opposite effect. Plus it smells bad. Tried a trap-solar light over pail of soapy water-with little effect. Tried scattering empty white 5 gallon buckets with about an inch of soapy water throughout the garden-no luck. Local knowledge says keep the lights on after dark but no electricy to the area the roses are in.

County extension agent says 'Sevin'. Local rose society says 'Merit' (applied as a drench). Don't like either of these suggestions but only alternative I can think of is not grow roses!!!

Throwing this one out to the experts in the hope that someone catches it. Especially since I just ordered another dozen roses :)

Comments (8)