SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

"Back to Eden" for Roses?

jockewing
10 years ago

I recently watched a movie on the internet called "Back to Eden" about a man in Washington state I believe who grows amazing fruits and vegetables. His "secret" is mulch---he simply puts a heavy layers of primarily mulch from tree trimmings directly on top of the soil and doesn't till. It is basically sheet composting or lasagna gardening, except he continues to add to the layers year after year. I think he said he only waters to get his seeds up then never has to water again, and never uses any fertilizers. His apple trees and vegetables did look beautiful and the soil was beautiful as well.

I am very interested in trying this method. I am going to start the search for wood chips from tree trimmings. Wonder if I can substitute the horse manure mixed with wood shaving bedding I have access to at a nominal cost in virtually unlimited quantities.

Anyway, this movie focused exclusively on growing fruits and vegetables. They did not discuss ornamentals. I was dying for him to stick a rose in that soil on fortuniana to see how big it could get and how many flowers it could produce. I don't see any reason why this method wouldnt work for ornamentals. Any thoughts?

I have always gone with the method of tilling in my organic amendments and havent been a heavy mulcher. I have had decent success, but the whole point of the movie was that you shouldnt really ever disturb the existing soil, but late nature do the tilling for you. I am interested to try this method and am really curious what it would do for roses and other ornamentals.

Comments (10)