SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Newbie question about potted roses

jeffcat
14 years ago

I'm contemplating purchasing 2 bare root Austins for next season, but I'm a little confused on the feasibility of doing so. I live in Ohio on a z5/z6 line and I would like to leave them in containers PERMANENTLY. I've seen most people starting roses in pots and containers, but eventually moving them out of them. I'm curious if this is feasible to do long-term. I am still deciding on which Austins I will eventually choose, but they will be smaller or medium ones that I will choose.

My plan is to plant the bare roots and let them grow for the year, and then every winter in Ohio I would just let them go dormant then bring them inside my house during the winter as I typically keep my temps around 55-60 during the winter(heating costs too much). During the spring I would break them back out and continue to do that yearly.

If I use a large enough pot, would this be feasible in the long-term? Pot size isn't an issue and I can move them anywhere as a younger guy. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (28)