SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How to care for Cherish roses just planted?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I bought a Cherish early last summer (May?), it was in perfect condition, no problems planting it that late even though it was in bloom when I bought it. I buried the graft, just mulched it well over winter. Exposed canes blackened and shriveled, but I cut them back early this summer, lots of new growth this past month and so far 5 blooms when a month ago I wasn't sure it would bloom at all due to severe whacking I gave it (and continual rain - June was like April usually is!).

Just the other day I found 2 more Cherish roses with lots of black spot on them for $2 each at grocery store - I couldn't resist. Planted them this AM, then had a T-storm this afternoon. Planned on whacking all the spotted leaves off - should I take a good portion of the canes too? Will run hose tomorrow - we're supposed to have about 30% chance of T-storms each day for next 10 days (except holiday) but I won't count on that. How much should I cut them back? They're planted a good 15ft away (1 in each direction) from the healthy rose, so I shouldn't have to worry about it spreading (if I cut off spotted areas and dispose of properly, wash the shears), should I?

BTW, I also planted some Montauk daisies this AM, funny thing is, I was grasping plant with right hand (gloved), loosening pots with left (also gloved), got a few scratches on left arm from roses (can't find opera-length gardening gloves!), not sure if it was something on roses or daisies, but now I've got a rash on that arm (just the outside, cuff to glove to elbow). I took a shower right away - this took hours to show up. Anybody have any ideas on what caused the rash? Thanks.

Comments (16)