SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

House painting saga continues...

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

This is a continuation of a post awhile ago about how my 3 1/2 story house (which was covered to the roof with climbing roses on 3 sides) is going to be painted.

Cass gave me good advice about cutting the climbers down to 8-10 feet and wrapping them in burlap for the duration. Well, the cutting, pruning, and removing the top 2/3rds of the climbers part is done. Now my Cl. Cecile Bruner, banksie lutea, Belle Portugaise, Cl Iceberg, Sombreuil, Blaze, Golden Showers, Cl Crimson Glory, Anna Olivier, Pax, and Cl Rainbow's End (even this miniature had reached 15 feet!) are just almost bare long 8-10 foot high canes. The bush roses that are in the same beds alongside of the house have been pruned hard. The star jasmine that was climbing up the North side of the house is also cut down to about 10 feet.

So, tomorrow we are going to wrap them all in burlap, and on the next day the scaffolding contractor is arriving to scaffold the entire building. As there will be some construction in addition to painting - one corner of the house will be rebuilt because of termites, some South facing parts of the wall will be re-shingled, and half of the front porch will be rebuilt, the entire project is estimated to take 4-5 weeks.

My dilemma is - what can I do for the roses (all of which are well established) during this traumatic time? Should I water them? Feed them? Will they go sort of dormant, so I should wait until the awfulness is over before I feed them?

Any thoughts appreciated.

My husband says (who is, thank God, a general contractor, and thus can communicate with the barbarians) he will try and make sure that they do not trample the beds more than strictly necessary, using me as the "bad cop" (or wicked witch!) excuse. I am just hoping that all of the roses survive. I know that if they do, they will come back nicely, and next Spring's bloom will be wonderful, if short in stature.

Jackie

Comments (7)