SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickelsmumz8

Portland Rose Garden visit

nickelsmumz8
16 years ago

I've managed to get to all three of the different gardens comprising the Portland Rose Garden. Today I finally made it to the main garden in Washington Park. Although it's a little past peak, I saw a ton of gorgeous roses. Did not try to take any pictures (and it was midday, lousy light), but I did make some notes of things that wowed me and may go onto my ongoing list.

*Granada -- It's already on my list, but I have GOT to get this.

*Ebb Tide -- really looked good, still lots of flowers.

*Miss All American Beauty. Love the color and huge flowers.

*Peter Mayle -- wow, color, size, SCENT! I hear people are driven crazy by it but I can see why you would bang your head against a wall for its sake.

*Black Baccara -- like everyone else, am wowed by the color.

*Royal Amethyst -- what a scent.

*Voodoo -- tons of flowers and such an interesting color.

*Fame, Strike It Rich, Jean Giono and Rouge Royale all impressed me favorably.

*A non-in-commerce rose called Funkuhr was really cool and I'll be keeping my eyes out for it. The coloring is unusual and rather flamboyant.

One rose I saw that is coming off my list now is Centennial Star. It photographs nicely but is more blah in person.

I decided that the orange thing in my garden that I thought might be Fragrant Cloud is probably NOT Fragrant Cloud, but it could be either Tropicana or Lasting Peace.

I got to sniff both Chrysler Imperial and Mr. Lincoln. Although there were few CI's in bloom, I thought it had the superior scent -- WOW!

Someone in Oregon was asking about Moonstone in the last day or two. I thought the flowers were very pretty although the colors are not my usual preference. However it has too little scent to attract me. It seemed to be growing well and moderately floriferous.

I started scribbling numbers of test roses that I thought were fabulous and then gave up because there were too many!

I found I did not care so much for some of the novelty colors as I thought I would; I did not love Distant Drums and downright disliked Honey Dijon (No offense to those who adore them!). I also realized that I really cannot stand the color of Queen Elizabeth, and it is EVERYWHERE around here.

Comments (6)