SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

best way to go for winter holding bed

sunnysideuphill
16 years ago

I have over a dozen potted roses that I had hoped to be putting into their permananent bed this fall, but as it turns out that probably won't be possible. The young lady who helps with my landscaping had a baby in July, so things have slowed down - she is supposed to get back to me with design and estimate but it may not happen before winter, and even if it does, she and her crew may not be able to prepare the bed.

So - I have an area that used to be spaded up for a vegetable and cutting garden, about 3' X 15'. It is grown over with weeds but it could be spaded up again for a holding bed. My BIG QUESTION - which is the way to go:

1. Should I bury them all upright in their pots, with rims a few inches below soil level, back fill and then mulch the top with hemlock branches (tons of that in the woods, my only bow toward winter protection for any of my roses).

OR

2. Should I unpot them, and set them in just as if I were planting them in a permanent spot, with the same hemlock protection as above?

Thanks.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida