SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

potting cutting fragrance Qs and intro

Hello to all. I am an experienced perennial and annual seed starter -- I am a newbie to Roses. I�ve enjoyed lurking on the forum for a few months now, hoping to gain from everyone�s experience, wisdom and humor. I have a few questions:

I bought roses in spring of 2011 from Heirloom. Antiques and floribundas. I was STUNNED at how small they were (and expensive). For some reason I expected bushes. (duh) Anyway, now that I know better I just bought 6 more from their half price sale. I intend to pot them up and baby them until late autumn when I will put them out in full sun. (I am in middle TN. We got no rain for the month of June and 6 inches in 10 days in July). I potted the 2011 ones in a mixture of moisture control potting soil, composted manure and peat moss.

Question 1: Is this the best soil mixture for pots?

I only buy roses that are described as disease resistant (cause I don�t believe in spraying) and very fragrant (cause I am growing roses primarily for fragrance/vase). I have discovered that fragrance doesn�t necessarily mean vase staying power (or I am cutting them at the wrong phase of bloom or something).

Question 2: could someone recommend fragrant roses good for cutting and lasting in a vase?

I bought 2 Mr. Lincoln�s and an Olympiad at Kmart this year in gallon pots. They are thriving and of course, intensely fragrant. However, they are in a bed that gets super hot late sun and it�s frying the blooms.

Question 3: Is there an easy way to provide temp shade until I transplant?

Question 4: What stage of bloom is the best time to cut them for the vase? When the sepals unfurl? I am following the proper vase preparation procedures and cutting them again underwater etc.

I�m doing my very best not to cut from the OGR�s , floribundas and HT�s that are just babies but it is DIFFICULT.

Question 4: I bought a nearly dead $5 "Peace" CL in a 2 gallon pot last summer from Lowes. It has put on 6 or more feet of growth. I have heard Peace only grows on old wood? Correct?

Thanks everybody and I look forward to hanging out here as I have definitely caught Rose Fever!!!! and thus far no pest or disease issues. I am fertilizing well too and watering well. Being a good novice and going by the "book".

I�ll be happy to reveal names of my roses if anyone�s interested in commenting.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH