SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

We did it

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

The job is done. This morning we went out early while it was still cool and finished hoisting up the remaining canes of 'Treasure Trove' onto the pergola DH built, spreading them down its eight meters of length and tying them in place. We finished by tying the tender young canes 'Treasure Trove' has been throwing out since the accident, orienting them toward the pergola. With the old pergola and the new extension the pergola is now about 36' feet long; possibly the bottom of it will be colonized by a young double white Lady Banks rose growing there.
This has all worked out better than at one time I thought likely. DH was able to cut down the fallen and split portions of the black locust the rose had been climbing on, 40' of tree, then we pruned away the most heavily damaged canes and I untangled what was left, cutting away the small growth and shortening the side canes. DH built the pergola, using the usual rebar and lumber, and then we got the canes up, not without some swearing and gasping on my part.
We sure got a lot of mulch out of this, and a lot of wood for terracing. A portion of the shade garden has been redesigned, and is none the worse for that. I think 'Treasure Trove' will be fine. The locust is resprouting, too, from its eight foot stump, which I'm not particularly grateful for, but it won't do any harm. Also we have baby locusts sprouting all over the garden. We pull these and they become mulch. We can use that, too.
Melissa

Comments (9)