SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debgrow_gw

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Perennials

debgrow
15 years ago

I need some "expert" advice on sunflower seeds. For about a year, I was using black oil sunflower seeds in my birdfeeder, and noticed that all the perennials planted within 20 feet of the feeder were dying gradually. At first, I thought they were just being trampled to death by squirrels and ground feeders, but then a master gardener told me that black oil seeds are treated with something that is poisonous to some perennials and that's probably what was killing my plants.

So I stopped using sunflower seeds in the feeder, and now use just safflower, occasionally with peanut pieces mixed in. Sure enough, the perennials that were dying before are now beginning to thrive again. The other day, though, I saw huge bags of striped sunflower seeds at the garden center and wondered if that would be a good replacement for the black oil seeds.

Are striped sunflower seeds treated with the same harmful chemical that black oil seeds are treated with? And, do striped seeds attract the same kinds of birds that the black oil ones do? Thanks, so much, in advance, for sharing any experience you've had with striped seeds, and any advice you can offer me about them.

Comments (9)