SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

bog garden update (lots of pics)

Hi again,

My "bog garden" that you were all so kind to help me with is starting to shape up. Well, honestly, it still has a long way to go, but it's finally getting to where I can visualize it as a finished garden.

I thought I would share a few photos, since you all were such a big help in getting me started. I apologize for the quality - I really don't know how to use the camera and I can't seem to get the definition needed to pick out individual plants in the wider shots.

Anyway, as a refresher, here's a wide shot of the area "before":

{{gwi:252103}}

Here it is as of this morning:

{{gwi:277168}}

The shed is so pretty right now. I can't take credit for the virginia creeper hanging down just so:

{{gwi:277170}}

The pathway is *almost* done. There is just a hole that I need to fill in where I dug out a monster rock. I'm considering a fish pond...

{{gwi:277173}}

Monster rock doesn't look nearly as big in the photo as it is in real life. It's very big, (and very heavy!)really!

{{gwi:277174}}

Hey, like my new muck boots? The best $$$ I ever spent!

Here's a partial shot looking toward the shed. You can (hopefully) see lots of iris (japanese, lousiana, siberian), marsh marigold, itea Henry's Garnet, two tiny little cimicifuga White Pearl, there is a clethra in there somewhere, and way at the back is ilex Winter Red.

{{gwi:277176}}

Here's a few closer shots. The Winter Red to the right of the shed:

{{gwi:277177}}

caltha palustris (marsh marigold):

{{gwi:277178}}

lobelia cardinalis, on the downside but still a gorgeous red!:

{{gwi:277179}}

Another wider shot. I included this one because the (deer-eaten, ratty) hosta with the ferns leaning over it on the right was at the edge of the original bed. This shows how it was widened. The dead-looking sticks to the left are a huge bleeding heart that I dug up and divided into four new plants, and to the far lower right, you can see the purple of lobelia siphilitica. Also in here, hard to pick out, are some cornus alba Ivory Halo, a ligularia Rocket, and another clethra and itea.

{{gwi:277180}}

Close-up of the button bush:

{{gwi:277181}}

Viburnum Winterthur:

{{gwi:277182}}

To the left of the pathway, one of the kindly-donated willows (pretty much center of photo), with some irises from the original bed, dug up and divided. The left side will get more attention next year.

{{gwi:277183}}

I discovered lots of wild asters I will use here too. These are really much more purple than the photo, and these were a bit beaten down by last night's rain.

{{gwi:277185}}

One last wide shot:

{{gwi:277186}}

Anyone need any wood chips?

{{gwi:238251}}
Oy vey, after the pathway, other uses in this yard, and two and a half pick-up-truck loads taken to my yard, I still have a pile four feet high, and about 12 by 12 feet.

Well, I probably should have waited until next year to show pics, when everything is growing and bigger and filling in, but I'm getting excited about this garden, and the shed with the virgina creeper looks so pretty, so I couldn't wait. It really does look a bit nicer in person than in the photos, but again, I wanted to thank everyone for the group effort!

I put a link below to the album with the photos in case they look better there and in case anyone is interested.

Thanks!

:)

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: photos on webshots

Comments (19)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!