SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Excited! Going to K&M for my first Fortuniana roses on Saturday!

jockewing
10 years ago

I live in the New Orleans area and I am in the process of creating a large rose bed in my back yard. Through much research, it seems to me that roses on fortuniana do much better in the Gulf South than any other rootstock available. I want to grow beautiful hybrid teas, including the old fashioned varieties like Peace, Double Delight, etc, and I am also interested in some of the exhibitioners' favorites I have been reading about like Hot Princess, Gemini, St. Patrick, etc.

I am creating a square-shaped large bed, about 30x20 that will be separated into 4 separate sections by a path that will bisect the bed at the halfway point of each side. I have access to copious amounts of horse manure and am building high raised beds with the manure and as much organic matter as I can get a hold of. I am going to have a soil test so that I can adjust the pH and nutrients now. I plan on holding the plants in pots all through the summer to let the organic matter break down and settle in the bed and will plant out when it cools off in the fall. And yes, I will spray with fungicide. I know that spraying is pretty much a requirement in my area (just north of N. Orleans) to grow hybrid teas.

I have set up an appointment to go visit Mr. Mills at K&M on Saturday and I plan on buying as many as 8 - 10 plants. I know I could just wait, but I am too excited and he says he has in stock most of the varieties that I want now. It's about 2 hours away from my house so it will be a nice day trip and something to do.

Here is what I plan on getting. Anyone that has bought from K&M or is a hybrid tea grower that has any recommendations on great varieties to try, please let me know:

Hot Princess
Gemini
St Patrick
Moonstone
Just Joey
Double Delight
Fragrant Cloud

I would love to have some Austins on Fortuniana but I'm not sure if K&M carries these.

I am also intrigued by some special collections they carry called Eddie Edwards, Fred Wright, and Florists varities, but am unfamiliar with these.

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

Comments (9)