SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonny300

Rhodo advice for someone who is still learning

sonny300
16 years ago

Last year I received some good advice from some of you regarding my rhodo plantings in too much shade.(many thanks). I did my limbing-even cut down some of the Douglas Firs- and western red cedars.

Still not a lot of bloom, so I have decided that more water is required,"firs are greedy", and I have fertilized in Jan,again in March, and will do so again in mid june, with 10-8-6-, again firs are greedy. Yes, I have some rhodos planted as close as 10 feet to the firs(that have all been limbed up) -so I have concluded in my situation that even with the extra light, more water and mulch and fertlizer is required. Am mulching with a combo fish compost and shreded bark mulch. (not coarse, and not too fine)..

Am I correct in thinking that if I were gardening at least 25 feet away from those conifers, then perhaps hardly any fertlizer would be required? and less water? However, that isnt going to happen, my gardens are established, :15 years:--half of my rhodos are that age. I`m on a well with lots of water, no problem there. And it is not a lot of work to apply the fertilizer. Do most of you agree that in this circumstance that lots of water and an adeqate amount of fertilizer is required? This is a park-like acre and I really dont want to cut down anymore trees, nice moss pathways,etc. So, will my new course-of-action give the desired results?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations