SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j_db69

Fast growing trees for N central TX

j_db69
15 years ago

I am needing to plant a lot of fast growing trees for my land. We have a large area to plant in (75 acres) that is all farmland. We are wanting to establish some shade/windbreak quickly (3-5 years) grown from bare root stock (to save money since we will be planting so many) that we can use for firewood 10 years down the road. I know that they will be "trash trees" hence using them for firewood later down the road, when my "good trees" (slower growing) will be getting a little size to them. Our "good trees" will be mostly natives. They will not be planted close to where we are building our home so it should be ok. We also have a well nearby.

I was looking into some kind of poplars and maybe evergreens. I understand that the poplars have to have a lot of water to get them to grow quickly though. I will be planting some timber, running bamboo to help with windbreak as well (they will not be planted close to our living area). If someone has some pointers for me that would be great. Thanks

The area is close to Wichita falls and the soil is sandy. I have access to lots of mulch however.

Comments (6)