SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

medium-sized plants for part shade

Lalala (zone 6b)
14 years ago

Hi all,

I am slowing filling up a bed in our front yard that was just weeds and bearded irises when we moved in. I need some help for the middle of the bed. I just read Mindy's instructions for requesting garden design help, so will try to provide all the relevant info!

Short form of question: what would fit well in between Annabelle hydrangea/holly at the back of the bed, and lamium/geranium rozanne in the front of the bed? My only idea so far is heuchera.

Long form of question:

In the back of the bed is an Annabelle hydrangea and a standard pointy-leafed holly. Both are fairly small now (Annabelle is about 3', holly about 2'), but I plan to leave them there and let them get big.

In the front of the bed is some lamium red nancy, which I just divided so it will fill in. I'm planning on adding some geranium "Rozanne" behind/between the lamium. Along one edge are the irises, which I don't love in the bed but they are nice in spring, so I am living with them for now.

So I need some medium-sized plants to fill in the space, about 3 feet wide and 8 feet long, between the shrubs and the low front border plants.

I'd like some kind of color interest, whether flowers or foliage, that is not just plain medium green. I don't like red flowers, but otherwise I'm open to anything. Most of the other flowers in my gardens are purple, blue, pink, and white.

The bed gets a couple of hours of sun around noon, and is otherwise in dappled shade. Our native soil is 100% clay, but the bed is well amended (and full of huge earthworms). We have an irrigation system so it's consistently watered.

The bed is in the front yard up against the house, bordered by a drop-off to the driveway (the house is on a hill and the driveway is street-level) on one side. So we're mainly looking at the bed from the sidewalk, and the bed itself is on a hill about five feet higher than the sidewalk (with a good stretch of lawn in between the sidewalk and the bed).

Thank you!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!