SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Barona Austin Garden in the Summer

After an earlier post that described the Austin Garden (which also includes other roses) at Barona, I thought it would be a good idea to visit there in the heat of summer and see which roses were doing well at this time of the year. The heat in the afternoon sun was grueling, and I can't tolerate heat well, but the fascination with the roses overshadowed everything else. For anyone who's interested I'm going to list the roses that were doing relatively well and which appealed to me. For the most part the Austin roses as compared to the HT's, floribundas and shrub roses put on a poor show, either very large bushes with almost no flowers or gangly little specimens with one or two fried blooms.

The following were the standouts among the Austins:

Lilian Austin (very nice bush, very floriferous)

Mary Magdalene

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild

William Shakespeare 2000(no loss of color)

Miss Alice (small but shapely bush)

Anne Boleyn (almost white in the heat but still nice)

Sophy's Rose

Charles Darwin (a much nicer rose than I've been led to believe and floriferous)

Abraham Darby (had a few big, beautiful blooms)

All these were nice shrubs. Lots of gangly or broad bushes that were hardly blooming in the rest of the garden. It must be glorious there in late April or early May.

Of the modern roses the unquestionable standout for me was Yves Piaget with huge, many-petaled blooms and a bush that was reasonable-looking, especially considering the flowers. (Please see picture)

Others I really liked and which were blooming beautifully in the heat were Midnight Blue, A Change of Heart, The Impostor, Watercolors, Fragrant Plum, Daybreaker (beautiful shrub and lots of flowers)and Our Lady of Guadalupe.

We were the only people in the garden (you know, mad dogs and Englishmen)and a young lady there who I believe may be the one who takes care of the garden graciously presented me with a lovely bloom of Pope John Paul II just before we left.

I hope this is of some interest/help to those of you who have hot, dry gardens.

Here's Yves Piaget's portrait

{{gwi:296335}}

Ingrid

Comments (19)

• 14 years ago

Ingrid, I should have thought of Yves Piaget for you.
    We grew it years ago, and the plant grew and bloomed well. In the 3-4 years it was with us, we never saw a bloom open.
    All were rotted brown balls. :-)
    So I'd never recommend it for anyone in our sort of cool coastal humid climate, but for you, it may be outstanding.

Jeri

• 14 years ago

Oh, Ingrid, what a great idea to go there, and what a trooper! I hope you wore your pith helmet and SPF70 sunscreen.

Lilian Austin, William Shakespeare 2000, and Abraham Darby are supposed to do well here, but I've never grown them.

I'm so glad you got to see so many roses that will bloom and do well in your heat. That is a long list! How did their soil compare to yours, and were they doing anything cultivation-wise that might be useful in your garden or that confirmed what you do in yours? I love your photo of Yves Piaget. Have you acquired him yet?

Sherry

• Related Discussions

Summer song rose..Austin

Q

Comments (2)
    Summer Song isn't a light shade. It is a rich orange coloured rose.
    ...See More

Source for Austin's Summer Song rose?

Q

Comments (17)
    Agree with Camp. This is a rubbish rose for sure. Resents pruning; the cane will die back with black growth. Had one nice bloon all year; the rest were small and not much to speak about. I'm not impressed with SS at all; mine's slated for the compost pile in the Spring. I've given it 3 years and it's time to go and make room for new Palatine arrivals.
    ...See More

My new Austins - summer blooms [image heavy]

Q

Comments (18)
    hoovb - My windermere is getting pretty large as well, still a nice bush form, but I'm wondering about it's 3ft height I thought I had read about. It's preparing to give a full flush soon so I'm pretty excited. Yeah, I'm not sure about the toasted buds, but it only happens to that plant even though the others are fine. Also that Geoff Hamilton had some white thing bugs on it for a while, which I thought might be spider mites but I'm not certain. jumbojimmy - I'll try to get you some photos of Sweet Juliet in bush form, I know I have some old ones hidden away somewhere. Some more Austins I took photos of yesterday: Teasing Georgia I knew this was the fence climber I wanted when I saw it in the Austin catalog and checked out the photos of it on helpmefind. Lovely scent, seems to be very robust and doing well. Ambridge Rose This one has done really well since I transplanted it into a pot after a miserable first year in the ground. 5 years old now I believe. The only problem it has is the blooms tend to be much larger than it's thing narrow stems can support. Not my favorite scent, but does very well as cut flowers.
    ...See More

Austin Garden in June...

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you!! It is my 2nd garden so still trying to figure everything out. Yes Omar, I insist on packing everything in there. I love how it looks but I am having issues with overcrowding. And my watermelons are taking up a lot of real estate over good dirt that nothing is growing in. I need to plan that better next year. :) Thanks again for the kind words! Deanna
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Ingrid, great pic of Yves Piaget. It must have been very fun, and intersting, to visit the garden.

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild is new to my garden this year, like the blooms so far.

I really like Miss Alice, it probably gets taller in your area... here it is diminutive, but so charming, and a great bloomer.

• 14 years ago

Hi Ingrid and everyone, I posted about the Barona DA garden in Spring. I was thinking about going there to give an update, but the heat is nasty right now! (So glad you made it there! I hope it is cooler at your house!)
    Thank you for the update!
    I am 20 minutes from Barona, 12 minutes from the beach. Abraham is doing really well here in the low 90s. Christopher Marlowe also. (Almost all of mine are new this year)
    The Pilgrim is doing a lot of growing, no second flush but doesn't seem to mind the heat.
    My Charles Darwin may be getting too much dappled tree shade and is kinda of sitting there, same with Falstaff.
    Golden Celebration, first year, doesn't seem to like heat, wilts a bit.
    The rest aren't doing much besides fighting canker and seemingly getting used to my garden.

I bought Bolero Romantica a couple weeks ago and Wow what a nice plant. Beautiful flowers, smells wonderful and likes the heat. I will be adding Yves Piaget next year. I also have Francois Rabelais and he doesn't seem to mind the heat.

Thanks Ingrid!
    Allison

• 14 years ago

Golden Celebration, first year, doesn't seem to like heat, wilts a bit.

*** It's a water-hog. Needs more water than the average rose, even here in coastal conditions.

Jeri

• 14 years ago

Jeri, thanks for the heads up!
    Allison

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the info. on heat-loving plants.

Last time I visited a public rose garden in the HOT summer heat, I took along my umbrella and used it like a 19th Century parasol against the heat. Good thing I did--or I may have passed out in that heat! Think about an umbrella next time. Only a few people look at you strangely. LOL

Kate

• 14 years ago

I'm going to have to find a vendor for Yves Piaget (or Eve Piglet as my husband calls it!)because I definitely plan on getting one. I didn't get a chance to talk to the gardener about how she grows her roses, but I noticed she has drip watering and of course mulch which looked like small chips of tree bark. Krista, Miss Alice was a very small bush in that garden too, but had very pretty flowers, definitely a rose I'd consider for a smaller space.

Allison, I'm going to have to look into the Romanticas more since you mention that they don't seem to mind the heat. I know they bushes are more modern looking, but a few dotted about aren't going to matter, especially since most people will hopefully be looking at the blooms.

Jeri, I commend your patience for putting up with Yves' balling for three or four years. Mine would have been history long before that.

Ingrid

• 14 years ago

Well, she was a gift from a friend, and we were newer, then, to roses.
    These days, I think one year'd be enough of THAT.

Jeri

• 14 years ago

Hi Ingrid!

I adore Yves Piaget, it was one of the few roses in my California garden that I liked so much that I bought several bushes. Almost always in flower, very very very strong scent (which reminded me of purple grape juice), and it stayed very healthy.

I'm growing Mr. Fairchild here, and I love it. It has a beautiful strong scent, has been in bloom often enough to keep me nearby every time I'm in the garden, and I love the shape (peony, sort of like Yves too!).

I too never understood the bad press on Charles Darwin. With the exception of Jude, it was my favourite yellow in California. I love the red-tinted buds that open into strong yellow and fade to soft creamy mustard. The scent was very good in my garden, and while some complained about weak stems my bush held the large flowers up very well. A winner for me.

But yes, do get Yves, he was fairly easy to find a few years ago.

best,
    robert

• 14 years ago

Ingrid, Kniffings carried a lot of Romanticas this year. (They probably still have some left. Fried I bet.) They have an amazing selection of roses (the online list is not near what they have) even some Antiques. I heard about them at a rose seminar.

Address for everyone:
    Kniffing's Discount Nurseries, 14940 Oak Creek Road, El Cajon, CA 92021 Phone: (619) 561-0611

Nice knowledgeable people. They have catalogs and books if you want to sit and look up plants. They are with the East County Rose Society and the owner even does a local garden radio show. (There are chickens and dogs to pet too!)

Allison

Here is a link that might be useful: Kniffings Nursery Inland San Diego

• 14 years ago

That was a great idea to go look at the roses in the summer heat. I try to keep tabs on my roses as to how well they're doing in the summer. Sometimes though I find it has to do with where they are at in their blooming cycle. A note book would be a good idea but I'm not that orginized.
    About idividuals:
    Charles Darwin: I wonder if he got a bad wrap because he takes time to settle in. The first year I had mine the rebloom was bad, but now that it's older it's much better.
    Yves Piaget: I agree with others. It blooms well in the summer. So does Bolero.
    Golden Clebration: Jeri's right, but I find that if it does get enough water that it blooms in flushes all summer(temps mostly between 80 and 95)
    Sceptered Isle: I feel like this is one of my top prforming roses. Perhaps it just really likes where I've placed it. Right now it is covered in buds and fresh growth. It looks like springtime while many others look tired.

• 14 years ago

Allison, thank you for the information about the nursery. That sounds like an excellent source for me.

Pam, Bolero is really beautiful too. I'd love to have a beautiful white rose that blooms well in the summer. Mine have all stopped blooming now, although Westside Road Cream Tea at least is putting out new growth. Mme. Joseph Schwartz simply threw in the towel. I forgot about Glamis Castle, it does have one bloom.

Ingrid

• 14 years ago

Anita, I didn't see your post about the umbrella until now. Strangely enough, when my husband went to the parking garage to move the car closer to the garden so I wouldn't have to walk so far in the heat he also came back with an umbrella! They also had a tube filled with ice and water bottles in the garden. What a classy and generous touch!

Robert, I didn't mean to ignore your post, especially since you have experience with the roses I liked. I'm so glad Yves Piaget did well for you. If it does well for me I may also end up with more than one. It's just such an eyecatcher.

Ingrid

• 14 years ago

Ingrid, thank you so much for your detailed report in terms of roses that do well in the Barona Austin Garden in July. For me that is really valuable information, since I am living relatively close to that garden and my roses probably experience almost the same conditions, but I never made it to go back there and check on the roses after I visited in Spring. So you did the job for me :-).

From the Austins I have William Shakespeare 2000 and Sophy's Rose already on my wish list for the future and I am glad to read that they do also well in Barona.

I recently fell head over heels in love with Yves Piaget, because I saw an incredible specimen of that plant in someone else's garden, so your observation of that rose looking so good in Barona is just one more reason to get him. Stunning photo of YP that you have taken, thanks for posting that!

In my own garden Our Lady of Guadalupe, Burgundy Iceberg, Iceberg and surprisingly Eden can take the heat well and flower prolifically even now. My Pope John Paul II seems to suffer from the heat (the flowers are very small and the plant has stopped growing), but it is a very young rose, that might focus on root growth in the moment rather than producing large blooms. What do you think of the fragrance of that rose? I find it heavenly!

• 14 years ago

Thanks to Allison's tip I'm heading to Kniffings Nursery tomorrow. I'm hoping and praying I can leave there with only one rose, the one I'm going there to get. I called ahead and she said they have four Yves Piaget plants (this is your chance, organicgardendreams). I may also look at some drought-tolerant companion plants. You can never have enough of those.

Ingrid

• 14 years ago

I'm proud to say that I came back from the nursery with only two roses, Yves Piaget and a striped rose, Julio Iglesias. I couldn't resist since this is the first striped rose I've ever bought and I liked the fact that the color ontrast was rather soft. I also bought some Hidcote lavenders and a salvia. It was too hot to stay as long as I would have liked; it's a really neat place. Thank you Allison.

Ingrid

• 14 years ago

Kniffings Julio Iglesias' looked good huh?! I was thinking of that one also. (It would be my first striped too.) Last time I was out there I used my parasol. It helped! It was hard to write stuff down and hold it though. Needed my hubby :-)
    Glad you got your Yves Piaget! Any decent ones left? ;-)
    Allison

• 14 years ago

Allison, I had to have my husband get my umbrella from the car after a while. I was telling him what a wonderful place it would be to visit on a cool, cloudy day. They even had a pit bull, a dog breed I love, a black cat that followed us around and roosters crowing in the background. My kind of place!

They had a whole row of Julio and they all looked great. Perhaps one of them has your name on it?

Ingrid