SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
londonblue

My new Austins - summer blooms [image heavy]

londonblue
15 years ago

It's been a busy summer, but I finally got around to going thru some of my photos I've been taking of my roses this summer. We moved so I started with mostly all new Austins this year except for a few old ones I was able to bring with me.

So the exciting thing is I got to try a few new varieties this year along with some old favorites.

Alnwick Rose

This rose is a new one for me. I'm going to use it as a hedge, the flower shape the DA catalog attracted me to try it out. I love the blooms although they don't seem to last long.

Carding Mill

This one is a cutting taken from my old plant that was too large to move with me. It's put out a few large blooms this year.

Charles Renne Mackintosh

This own root plant has really come into it's own this year, burst of bloom after bloom even though it's got some bugs that mess up a lot of the buds. Still a small plant, but the cut flowers look really nice.

Jude the Obscure

One of my favorites, so I just had to pick up one this year since the old one is firmly in the ground. Amazing scent as always.

Lady Emma Hamilton

This one looked pretty nice with an unusual color, so I order one. Received one of the most sad looking bare root plants in the order. 2 medium sized canes in this tiny tiny plant I figured it would need special care. It's still hanging in there.

Mortimer Sackler

A new climber, it's a bit thing and scraggly, but hopefully it'll put forth some new shoots. It has very simple pink flowers.

I'm not quite sure if this is a photo of Mortimer, I think it is though

Crown Princess Margeretta

Not sure if I spelled the name correctly. I bought 2 of these, one from DA, one from a local nursery. Going to set them up to climb a trellis. The blooms look awesome in size and form, scent is okay, I can't really remember it. Plant has been a bit slow growing so far.

Scepter'd Isle

My wife really wanted this one, she loves the organized shape of the flowers. Turns out it's the same plant that I had received several years ago when I ordered the Generous Gardener. I had thought they had misgrafted Heritage, but it looks like the old GG's were Scepter'd Isle. So not a new bloom to me, but still, they're very pretty. Horrible as cut flowers though. Like the one I already had, it seems to love throwing out huge tall canes. Started out as a relatively small bare root.

Sharifa Asma

I order this one as an own root 2 years ago from Chamblees. It died, so I had to get another when the chance arose. Amazing scent, huge blooms. Unfortunately another really sad bare root on arrival. Tiny, tiny with 2 tiny canes and a little twig. Doing okay now, but prone to powdery mildew.

Tamora

Reviews said the scent is really nice. I forget now if it's anything special. Colors are pretty, but it looks a bit too much like a hybrid tea rose for my tastes. Still, doing well, new for me this year.

Windermere

This nursery only exclusive from DA is interesting. Not available on the DA site, I picked this one up locally. I figured it might be a weak one or something, but it looked like it might be pretty and met the short bush in a pot requirements I was looking for. Was plagued by blackspot initially and a bit lanky, but has really started to establish itself lately. I just took this photo today and the blooms are large and have a nice fruity scent. It's earlier blooms were virtually scentless.

Hydrangeas make excellent cut flowers that go nicely w/ roses.

And of course as usual, Austins make very nice bouquets.

I still have a lot more photos buried somewhere that I will have to dig up. Including Teasing Georgia, Golden Celebration, Graham Thomas, Ambridge Rose, The Generous Gardener, and one I can't remember the name of. I have 3 of that one I can't remember the name of though, since I once again tried to order Generous Gardener, but once again they did not have any. Instead, for a substitute they sent me 3 of this huge monster plant that I guess no one must order, because the bareroots were HUGE and looked 4-5 years old. A nice consolation to the other sad little bare roots I received though. I'll see if I can find photos of those too. Interesting flower, a bit boring pink, and not my most favorite scent - mryhh.

Hope everyone enjoys the photos and finds something new to purchase for next season!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor