SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Specific question for those who grow Heaven on Earth

16 years ago

Msrose, Celestialrose and whoever else grows Heaven on Earth:

I FINALLY got myself a J & P boxed (grafted) Heaven on Earth! Very excited, I think!

I am considering putting "her" in a bed next to William Shakespeare 2000, which lines my driveway. Right now Distant Drums is there, and is tall and spindly and seeking more light I think. Somewhere I read though, that HOE may need support, that her "necks" are weak and that she is "undisciplined." Also, because I'm in zone 5a, she may be smaller than the ones some of you grow in your warmer zones.

So, what do you think? Does she need a pot, or staking? My other concerns are: if she gets full sun only in the morning until about noon, will she do alright? Then it's more indirect sun for the rest of the day....the shade from our maple tree seems to start to descend upon those roses...and I keep thinking that that's the reason some of my roses in that bed seem tall and lanky and not very floriferous (DD, Bow Bells, Flutterbye, Golden Celebration). The ones that seem to bloom great there are William Shakespeare 2000, Star of the Nile and Greetings shrub rose. It may also be our lousy weather....not very warm or sunny lately.

I know it's not the best time to move a rosebush, but I think I will try to move Distant Drums to a bed in the backyard. Any advice/suggestions?

:0) Phyl

Comments (5)