SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Oohh heaven is a place on Earth (apologies to Belinda Carlisle)

SE Australia trip report part 1!!!

(Note in advance that I may not have time to reply consistently, as I'll continue to be on the road for some days.
Also the image color balance will not be up to my usually high standards, as I don't have a calibrated IPS monitor to work on. This is a cheaper, older laptop I brought with me and the screen stinks)

Due to various circumstances I found myself once again between IT contracting opportunities - and decided I had to pull the trigger on this trip. Whether I have the money down the road (and whether I had it now!) I may not have the energy or willpower to do this in a few years. Besides the dollar is strong and airfares are relatively reasonable versus historic norms. I won't say how much the trip is costing me, but I will say at times in the past it could have cost well over $1000 more than it is costing now. So now was the best time to do it.

Let's start in the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne, at the National Rhododendron collection. Don't worry, I won't bore you with TOO many pictures of them haha.
Here's the main entrance path past the entry/gift shop. That nearly 3 story tall ironclad - the biggest rhodie I've personally seen in my life - the splendid tree ferns, and well over 100' tall, enormous Eucalypts give you just a hint of how special this garden is. It is huge, and utterly spectacular.

Here are some typical plantings. I got VERY lucky as they are having an extremely cold spring for them. This is their May, but usually in a climate this mild, as is the case in California, the peak bloom would be in April. I was actually sure I was going to miss peak bloom, but couldn't take off in October because we were wrapping things up at my last job.

Of course they have a Wollemia. Theirs was the best looking, the ones at Cranbourne and Melbourne Botanic gardens seem somewhat bedraggled. Make sense as it comes from a cooler, mountain climate.

Some Echiums and (perhaps?) Pinus patulas:

South African Proteaceae absurdly combine with English Rhododendron and Ghent azalea hybrids, all of them looking perfectly happy. This is only done in one area.

The tree canopy here is mostly gigantic Eucs. From what I can tell, this is the area in greater Melbourne where they attain the biggest size for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the high rainfall combined with protection from winds. I talked to a nursery owner and he told me the problem with the big Eucs (gum trees) is they have weak root system, and fall over in wind storms. The garden seems to be in a relatively sheltered, high valley.

Quite a few were definitely over 100'. I haven't seen any other area with plants consistently as big, but they could be out there, off the beaten tourist's path.

They are mild enough to grow Vireyas outside. These are the rhododendrons of tropical highland areas.

Nor is there any challenge in growing the spicily scented cinnabarina series rhodies of the High Himalayas.

Lastly, they had the biggest, healthiest looking big leafs I've ever seen. Not sure which one this is, none of them were labeled.

Continuing...

Comments (32)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm