SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geoforce_gw

A few notes on lamiums

geoforce
16 years ago

A few years ago, I started to develop an interest in lamiums. Womderful plants for shady spots, both for spring flowering and all-year-round foliage. Now, after several years of growing them, I thought I'd comment on a few varieties.

Beacon Silver - My first love, and still a favorite. moderately slow grower, but will tolerate quite a bit of sun. Very easy from cuttings.

White Nancy - A nice grower but the flowers don't have a particular zing for my taste.

Pink Pewter - Either this is the fussiest of all of them, or it hates me. I have never been able to root a cutting of it without rot, and have lost it in my garden 4 times. I've given up on it.

Shell Pink - A different form of leaf pattern, with less silver than most, but a sturdy grower and a nice color.

Orchid Frost - More of a pink in my books, but a good plant though not one of my favorites,

Ann Greenway - A gold and silver variegation much different. Not a strong grower for me, but so unusual I work at keeping it going

Purple Dragon - A newer patented one. Said to be bigger, more purple, etc. A good plant, but hardly the rave in my garden. Flower color seems very sensetive to growing conditions. At its best it's spectacular. At its more common state, it is very similar to Beacon Silver

Anyone else out there have comments on specific lamiums? I especially like how easy they are to propagate by cuttings, and their seeming immunity to most pests in my gardens.

George

Comments (17)

• zephirine_lyon
    16 years ago

Why don't you try Lamium orvala too?
    A taller plant, and a lovely foliage.
    Not fussy, not invasive either, for shade too.
    The standard {{gwi:274338}} is very nice indeed, and the {{gwi:274343}} is just gorgeous!
    Zephirine

Here is a link that might be useful: about lamium

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I have a couple of Lamiums,

Pink Pewter, love it, it grows quite nicely in the spot where the over flow from a garden pool seeps.

Purple Dragon, I just planted it this spring so I can't really comment on this one yet. I love the color of the flowers though.

Aureum, love the golden foliage with the silvery white markings in the middle of the leaves, does best in shade. I don't care for the pink flowers as they clash with golden foliage IMO. I did have some snail damage on this one in the spring.

White Nancy, grows well for me, love the foliage, the flowers don't add much to the overall appearance.

A......

• Related Discussions

A Few Pics Of The Yard! It's Coming Along! Note - OT!! :)

Q

Comments (28)
    I agree with the warranty. Mine came with a year free and I had to replace the entire duct work and only paid $55, of course I found out today they did a lousy job of it but hopefully the insurance will make them come fix it. I'm glad I renewed it. Its so good to have a place that is yours and to know you can make all the beds you want and never have to dig them up to take or leave them behind again. I think thats why I'm so plant crazy now. I was deprived before, lol. Like Jim said. Make them an offer you might get a heck of a deal with the economy in the crapper like it is. They were about to do some remodeling on my house when I bought it during prime season and I got it 10,000 cheaper as is. There was nothing really wrong with it that I couldn't live with and put in what I want a little at a time like the ugly linoleum in the kitchen but heck, the longer I can put if off the longer the new stuff will be new when I get it done finally, lol.
    ...See More

Ajuga vs. lamium -- which will win out?

Q

Comments (1)
    Okay, I'll answer my own post. Visited the garden center and they said ajuga would win hands down, and that it could take over my lawn, and anything else in its path. Wow!
    ...See More

Lamium dying?

Q

Comments (5)
    If you have a large patch of Lamium, this won't work, but my 'Pink Pewter' and 'Red Nancy' are both still pretty small, so as individual stems finish blooming, I go through and cut them off all the way back to the crown. This keeps all the ratty foliage snipped off and causes it to keep producing fresh, new foliage, and my 'Pink Pewter' has bloomed repeatedly over the summer---it's in full bloom again now. If you want to try this and they look bad all over, I recommend you start by cutting off about half of the foliage/stems first and wait until you see obvious new growth starting, then cut the rest back. By doing this, you should get some nice new foliage before winter so they'll look good all winter.
    ...See More

Lamium G.... .

Q

Comments (1)
    Again, one unseen plant, nice shadings. Good contrast to strong colours
    ...See More
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

I did run across an article comparing different varieties linked below. I have an unidentified lamium that could be any one of the pink varieties I guess. I had one small little pot and I was afraid it might get away from me so I decided to grow it in my containers this spring. I divided what I had into small little pieces and they amazed me how well they rooted with little attention in a couple of weeks they were already established in the pots and grew well and flowered over the summer. So I have a few little plants that I am planning on putting into the ground this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Botanical Gardens Comparative Study of Lamiums

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

I have a beautiful yellow-leafed lamium with white flowers, so it's not the same one mentioned by aftermidnight, but I can't remember the cultivar name. It's like a patch of sunlight in the shade garden, and in spring the Narcissus 'Hawera' that blooms near it is exactly the same color. A gorgeous combo.

Mot a lamium, but related is Lamiastrum 'Herman's Pride'--lovely, very slow to increase plant. Like lamium, it's highly deer resistant.

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

I love Lamium! It's a standout in shade and blooms all summer. It doesnt spread like mad for me either, which is a good thing. I have 'Aureum' it's done very well until this year. Think I didnt water enough. If they get a little leggy they can be cut down and will grow fresh again. I bought 'Pink Chablis' this year, very nice! It bloomed heavily and the foliage is gorgeous, really makes a statement.

Jen

• entling
    16 years ago

There was a variegated pink-flowered lamium here when I bought the house & I planted 'White Nancy.' The lamiums crossed & self-sowed around so that now I have a pink-flowered 'White Nancy' type & a white-flowered form of the more green with white variegated leafed-form. I really should try to ID the original plant. I like the different forms that have popped up & mixed together. When I find 'Purple Dragon' for sale cheaply, I'll add it to the mix.

• donn_
    16 years ago

zephirine_lyon and prairiemoon2...thanks for that link. Very informative, and I believe I'm due to try some Lamium.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Ooh, I love lamium! But I have such a difficult time getting it to grow in my garden. I think I have it in a part of the garden where the soil is too dry and too poor.

I tried Anne Greenaway three times but gave up finally. I'm now deciding whether to give up on Orchid Frost. I really love the color of the blooms, but again, it is not flourishing.

I did plant some in a friend's garden, some White Nancy, which did very well until this year, so I lived vicariously through her garden, lol. But this year it's not doing so well and a lot of it did not come back...

In my garden, I'm thinking of replacing it with ... what was it? I want to say some kind of veronica. Veronica Corrinne, maybe? It has a somewhat similar variegated leaf, and is one of the closest things I could find to lamium. I put some in, but will see how the lamium does too.

I always give things way too many chances, lol, mostly because I figure if it doesn't work it's my fault, not the plant's fault!

:)
    Dee

• blackswamp_girl
    16 years ago

Anne Greenaway must know that I have mixed feelings about it, based on all of your comments above... if you love her, she seems to not do as well as you'd like. For me, she does too well and I'm not sold on her! (There's just something about the leaf that's a bit too... I don't know, busy maybe?... for me.) I just took her and planted her underneath some baptisias where she'll show off from late fall to early spring (when almost any color is welcome) and be invisible for the rest of the growing season.

I have 'Purple Dragon' and I really like its leaf color. It seems to not grow in the spreading clump formation of my other lamiums, but kind of meanders more.

'Pink Nancy' I got from clumps in my Mom's yard, and I have told her not to be afraid to rip it out if it goes where she doesn't want it--it's a spreader there but mingles nicely with hostas and roses. (It did apparently strangle out her bellflowers, though.) 'Pink Nancy' seems as happy in her unamended clay soil as it is underneath my rhododendron and a roof overhang, which is fairly dry.

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

I was surprised that anyone had anything good to say about Lamium, based on my experience. Long before I started gardening I attended a gardening class and the first recommendation was Lamium. I went directly to the nursery (where the classes were given) and bought a Lamium and I have been trying to get rid of it ever since. I think it is called Yellow archangel, and it took over my shade bed, grew into my lawn, and every year about this time, I rip and rip and it still comes back. This year, I'm doing a little more digging. So I'm glad to see that some of you have had a good experience with this plant (or certain cultivars), but I am deathly afraid of having another one in my garden. BTW this lamium produces a beautiful yellow flower in spring, which brightens up a shady spot, but this is one that should be kept in a pot.
    Northerner.

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

Some of the lamiums, particularly yellow archangel, are very fast spreading plants. They are more suited to large spaces where they can form a solid mat of groundcover. In a small flower bed they can choke out other plants, but are gorgeous in the right setting.

Jen

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Northerner, I think most of us are referring to lamium maculatum, which is a better-behaved lamium. The Yellow Archangel is lamium galeobdolon and I think it might even be on the invasive/noxious weed list in some states.

Despite my poor luck with lamium (maculatum), I don't think I would try the yellow archangel. With my luck, that would be the one that would live!

Dee

• SusanC
    16 years ago

I have Yellow Archangel in a difficult spot where I've had trouble getting anything to thrive; The very end corner of a north-facing bed that is choked with pine tree roots. It is behaving nicely there and lights up that dark corner.

• geoforce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The yellow archangel is not now classified as a lamium at all, but rather is lamiastrum galeobdolon, a different genus entirely. Most of what we are dealing with as lamiums are lamium maculatum varieties, but several other species are grown as well, more in Europe than in the US I think. I agree whole heartedly that the common variety of lamiastrum galeobdolon is quite an invasive, but the 'Herman's Pride' selection is extremely well behaved, and deserving of space in any garden.

George

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Funny George, I thought Yellow Archangel was a lamiastrum also, but when I looked it up earlier today, I kept seeing it referred to as lamium. Hmmm.

I think way back when, when I first started gardening, I had Herman's Pride, and it did beautifully for awhile, till I managed to kill it off. That is one that I would try again - and maybe now is the time, lol! What with my l. maculatum dying out on me...

Dee

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

I sought after lamiums after I read about them in Marianne Binetti's books as slug resistant easy care plants to let roam under shrubs and trees. She suggested to dig out clumps to put in hanging baskets or deck containers in part shade as fillers.

There is a big difference between yellow flowering ones & the pink/white ones.

I've been happy with them, but have noticed they have different levels of vigorous.

My current favorite is Aurea for it's golden foliage plus bright orchid blooms that attracts the hummingbirds in a hanging basket near our hot tub. It grows nicely outward down & up again in baskets.

My least vigorous is a white leaved purple pink flower, perhaps Red Nancy. It brightens up shady corners, but isn't liking container growing. I put some of it in the ground as well and is a slow grower as compared to white stripe green leaved bright pink flowered one, Chequers.

I favor 4-5' sweeps of them as 18" wide edgings in shady beds. In early spring I cut back any scraggly stems to make it tidy. Then I cut back again quite hard after flowering for good foliage all summer. These cuttings can easily be rooted for more plants to give away.

I've only purchased one lamium Aurea as the others were from plant swaps often in a plastic bag as bareroot clumps. They appeared almost dead, but water perks them right up especially after getting back into soil.

The best part is they're so easy care because they flower in the shade without fertilizer, water, or slug bait protection. I've tried some in sunnier beds and as long as kept moist or in part shade or away from heat reflecting pots, rocks, or garden ornaments they do better. Also, they don't need any fertilizer to bloom well.

The 2nd year in the ground growth is amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to plant them.