SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunkirst

Help me learn about my soil

sunkirst
12 years ago

I've gardened all my life, but it has always been on the same general soil type: sandy loamish, low pH, Calcium and Phosphorus, low CEC, low organic matter content. I've learned how to handle this soil.

This past year I moved to the place that I'll likely be for the rest of my life. It's a silty clay loam (almost a clay silt loam). The pH is 7.2, the CEC is high, the organic matter content is 12%, the calcium and phosphorus are very good. This place was grazed for the past 40 years and grows the most beautiful grass I've ever seen, but it definitely has some drawbacks:

1. Poor drainage - grey and orange clay about a foot down. I may have to put in drainage. This year was Super Wet, so I'll wait to judge.

2. Lots of blossom end rot on tomatoes and peppers. All plants were well mulched, and the soil amended with compost.

3. Can't grow beets or swiss chard! Most of what I planted did OK, but the chard never grew more than 8 inches tall, and the beets took the full season to get barely bigger than a golf ball. Weird...

Currently I'm making lots of compost (glad to know there are other leaf thieves out there).

I'd love some tips on where to begin my research on this type of soil. I have an inkling that the high pH is "locking things up," but I'm unsure what to do (sulfur?). Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Comments (11)