SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindi_ks

Rainbow Knockout growing from pieces of root

Cindi_KS
15 years ago

Last year, I planted a tiny tiny bare root Rainbow Knockout from a Parks/Wayside sale. Didn't think the rose would live. By fall, it was almost 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall. This May, I decided it had outgrown its location, so I moved it to a better spot. The roots were long, so I hurriedly chopped them a bit. The rose wilted, turned brown, played dead, and a week later put out new leaves. It is covered with blooms now in the 100 degree heat, but it's still not as big as it was last fall. I planted some mini roses in the previous spot, and a few weeks ago I noticed a few were growing much faster than the others. Sure enough, they bloomed, and they weren't minis, but were little Rainbow Knockouts. I gave 2 away, and yesterday noticed another. The plant is as small as the mini rose next to it, but it has the big Rainbow bloom, no doubt about it.

What I'm wondering is, could this plant become invasive if it is this easy to start? Could you ever get rid of it, or is it a Hydra? I like the rose, and contrary to what some people experience, the colors have stayed clear and bright.

I've not heard of anyone else getting additional plants from the roots, but that flower bed gets the best possible culture, so maybe that's where I should stick cuttings of roses I really want? Is this a characteristic of Rainbow Knockout, or do I have a really special flower bed?

Or should I be worried that I have the next Kudzu?

Cindi

Comment (1)