SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Recommend a Quite Small Tree for This Spot?

leafy02
14 years ago

We will be removing a damaged dogwood tree that previous homeowners planted in the landscape bed between the house and the front walk, and I'd really like to put in a tree or tree-like shrub that's better suited--it's apparently too sunny for the dogwood.

I've looked through library books and all around the neighborhood, but I haven't come to any real conclusions about what to plant. I'd like advice.

Here's the basics:

We're in central Kentucky, zone 6 and very humid summers.

The site is totally full sun until very late afternoon/evening. Soil is clayish, but not heavy clay.

The tree will be only 10 feet from the front of the house, and the site is sheltered from wind by the L formed by the garage and the house.

We'd like a trunk/s and canopy form, not something columnar, weeping, or shrubby throughout. There are pachysandra and some other low-growing plants growing under the would-be canopy area of the tree.

We want green leaves, not purple, red, etc. unless in the autumn. And I don't like Japanese maples (I know, I am the only one!)

Don't care about flowers or scents one way or the other, just really want the green and the shade.

Thank you!

Comments (7)