SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_outdoors

Please report if your temps were in low 20s and you did NOT cover

beatrice_outdoors
12 years ago

I, too had 70-80 degree temps for three days, so I uncovered all my containers so they did not cook, although I was too late for one container of astilbe seedlings-lost the whole thing the first morning because I did not get out there fast enough.

We had temps in the low 20s last night with wind chills in the low teens, and we expect the same again tonight. 70% of my containers have sprouted. I have limited time for sowing, and figured I could leave all as is and hope for the best, and re-sow any that die if needed...or I could put the lot of the sprouted ones in the shed and use my future sowing time for the annuals and any others I've not yet had time for. Karen's link on frost says that young growing plants are vulnerable to frost but does not say anything about temps this low and freezing solid, so I chose option #2, and any containers that have already sprouted went into the shed.

This is only my 4th year WSing, and I've never experienced such a hard frost after such warm days. It's the extremes that worry me-from 80 to 24 in two days???

I'd like to hear from those brave souls who have

-already uncovered their sprouts

-left them in 28 or lower nighttime temps (with or without wind chills) for one or more nights already.

Did your seedlings survive? If you are expecting the same hard frost two nights (or more) in a row will you still do the same?

Your experience and affirmation that all IS well after the last two nights would be great.

Also, if you STILL leave your covers off and have the same hard frost for the next night or two, your confirmation in a few days' time that all is STILL well would be much appreciated.

I know this sounds like nervous nellie, but I'm hoping to become a complete convert once I hear from you, and I promise never to worry about my sprouts again.

Thanks,

Beatrice

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington