SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisa_z5

planting beach grass in a dune -- good or bad?

elisa_z5
9 years ago

I'm helping with a project to rebuild a dune (in NC) after it being washed away in Hurricane Sandy. The dune is now about 3 feet tall (made by sand fencing and NE wind over the past year). More fencing has been put in, with hopes that the dune will grow another 3 feet this next year. There is some natural vegetation, including beach grass, growing on the dune already.

I'm wondering if the disturbance of the sand in the dune in order to plant beach grass actually causes more potential weakness in the dune (and then it can more easily wash away) or if the roots of the beach grass (which are supposed to hold the dune together) are worth the disturbance to plant them.

Everyone says plant the beach grass. But the dune is SOLID and hard -- which to me means strong. And from what I've learned about disturbing soil, I'm not feeling sure about the planting idea. It seems that maybe just letting the grasses and plants propagate of their own accord is the best idea, while allowing the dune to remain undisturbed by digging holes and planting and people (the planters) tromping all over them. I am the person who has to make the decision one way or the other.

Hoping that SAND qualifies as SOIL . . . but if there is a better forum to ask this question on, let me know.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus