SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

OT - Hummingbird Migration Map

donn_
17 years ago

I see from the map I'm in part of their breeding range, but I haven't seen one here in the 9 summers I've lived here. I have hopes, as my flower count increases, I'll get a visit.

Hummingbird Migration Map - 2007

Comments (58)

• lindiinohio
    17 years ago

for the last couple of years ive had a few here mostly at a feeder just getting the plants going for them. I have to fight for their attention due to my MIL having them down the road at her house they seem to perfer the same stomping grounds lol. maybe i can one day have more flowers they like and keep them here.

• mudinmyshorts
    17 years ago

Donn ... the color red brings them in to your property; sugar water in a feeder that has red color on it holds them long enough for you to get a sufficient number of blooms in your garden to keep them interested and visiting your natural offerings.

For years I saw them early season but never realized that they just keep going past my property becasue it was so barren in early season. So I started experimenting with giving them reasons to stay. It works. If you can get them interested in a feeder, they will nest locally and then they will be around long enough to discover your gardens as they start to bloom. After that first year of getting their attnetion, you'll find they return and bring friends. When I built this house I'm in now almost five years ago, we managed to attract the attnetion of a young male and two young females with a stand of bee balm quite by chance. I had purchased the plants but had not even gotten them in the ground when the hummers found them. Since that time I have had them visit daily from April to mid October. Last year we had sixteen at a single feeder and since they are very teritorial it was very much like what you see when you look at a bee hive only with really big bees! I now have three feeders spread over 100 feet from each other and on a typical summer day there are hummers at all of them. I keep one by the gazebo and my wife and I can enjoy these birds at a distance of no greater than 5 feet from the feeder. Of course we are separated from them by a screen and it took them time to realize that we are no harm to them but they are quite use to us now. I can't wait till they return this April.

The sugar water mix is simply one part suger to 4 equals parts of water. Don't add any dye. Its not necessary and its probably not healthy for them. In the beginning you will have to keep the sugar water from sitting for more thatn two days or so. But after you bring them in you'll find that you will work hard keeping in full and less hard keeping it fresh and unfermented.

• Related Discussions

2007 Hummingbird Migration Map-Where are the hummers now?

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes it is very neat, I just bought a new hummer feeder and need to get it filled up and put out. Seems as though the hummers have been spotted in my area already!!! Thanks Sue!
    ...See More

Ruby Throated Hummingbird Migration Map

Q

Comments (6)
    Beautiful weather here this week. I know old man winter is still holding on but his reign will soon be over and spring will arrive. I will really start looking for my first hummingbird after the first week in March. I have feeders cleaned and ready.
    ...See More

Hummingbird Migration Map

Q

Comments (8)
    Waiting for first documented sightings of hummingbirds south of Boston. Multiple feeders, including window feeders up since March 19. Suspect several quick "fly-bys" but no landings to confirm. Much later than last year. Usually find them feeding on small insects in Boxwood bushes at this time for protein. Nothing there yet either! Any sightings in my area? Have several field science students looking as well!
    ...See More

Hummingbird Migration map 2014

Q

Comments (11)
    I have 3 that over winter. Anna's that is, 2 males and a female. 1 male and the female, Aka The Mr and Mrs have been with me for probably 5 years. I believe the other male is a son. This was his second winter. I bring the feeder in at night and bring back out at dawn or so when we had freezing temps. I have one male Rufous that should be showing up any time now. He takes his turn..I will put out another feeder for them to guard against each other in June. When they really get defensive of the space they normally share in harmony.
    ...See More
  • wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Thanks Donn..it's bookmarked!

• northforker
    17 years ago

Never fear Donn, the hummingbirds DO come to Long Island! We have huge established trumpet vines on a 20 ft long trellis wall on one side of our pool. They grow over 10 ft tall - just beautiful. When the trumpet is in bloom (Late June through the end of August)the hummers are feasting like crazy (especially early evening, but maybe thats just when I have time to watch them..) I've never seen them feed on other garden plants, but maybe I just don't have any others that are right for them. I always find trumpet seedlings when I clean out the bed at the bottom of the trumpets in the spring - - want some? Happy to share.
    Nancy

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Thanks, Donn! I didn't know they were on any kind of schedule, they just seemed to show up. I'm a good gardener, but maybe not the best housekeeper -- the hummers here go for the spider webs in the upper corners of the windows! I have a lot of flowers they like, but I think it's the spider webs that make them want to live here.

Lime

• ghoghunter
    17 years ago

Yes I love hummers too! In my yard they loved the Black and Blue Salvia, the honeysuckle and the Scarlet runner beans the best plus the Bee Balm. For some strange reason they didn't touch my feeder but I'll try it again this year. They also love insects and they use the spider webs to build their nests! I can't wait for them to come back. In my area of PA they usually arrive around April 16th so I'll be watching for them. Oh I almost forgot. It was the Elfin Pink Penstemon that they came to first last Spring!
    Joann

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Donn and all,
    I plant strictly for hummers, I start following the migration as soon as Lanny posts the new map in late Feb. every year. Not all plants will hold them if they don't have enough nectar. I work 9 feeders and a garden full of hummer plants every year. I already have several blooming inside ready to go as soon as the temps warm enough. There are hummers on LI but many that come through early are still migrating north however some will stay, nest and rear their young on the island. If you use feeders put your first one out about the middle of April which would be a couple of weeks before the first expected arrival. Please don't use the commercial red nectar mix as it can be harmful. All you need is plain white granulated sugar and water (4 parts water to 1 part sugar and no food coloring or other additives.) For additional info please feel free to contact me.

Penny

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Donn
    I forgot to mention that it took about 9 yrs after moving to NY before I had my first hummer. I was used to having them from March through Oct. or later when I lived in La. it was so depressing not to have them here. Now I have them again and like I said in my previous post everything I plant is just for them. Some of the plants I grow from seed are:
    Salvia coccineas the species
    Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red'
    Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph'
    Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue'
    Salvia greggii
    Salvia subrotunda
    Salvia azurea
    Agastache cana 'Sonoran Sunset'
    Agastache'Rupestris'
    Agastache 'Tutti Frutti'
    Cuphea ignea
    Hesperaloe paviflora
    Aquiegia canadensis
    Aesculus paviflora
    Ipomopsis rubra
    Ipomopsis mix
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Impatiens wallerina
    Cannas (small flowered)
    Wild Lupines
    Calliandra californica
    Scarlet Runner beans
    Hyacinth bean vine
    Cardinal vine
    Cypress vine
    Cross vine
    Trumpet vine
    Penstemon 'Red Rocks'
    Lantana 'Pink Dawn'

This year I am adding:
    Kniphofia
    Desert willow
    Monkey Flower
    Maltese Cross
    Salvia praeclara

Then I have several that I started from cuttings or divisions or corms:
    Abutilon pictum
    Salvia guaranitica 'Van Remsen'
    Iris Fulva
    Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
    Salvia guaranitica sports (2) from my own plants
    Salvia 'Raspberry Truffle'
    Salvia g. 'Black & Blue' (doesn't always come true from seed)

Penny

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I first notice them in my yard when the cherry tree is in bloom. They will visit daily thru fall :D

Vera

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

My neighbour has a huge old Honeysuckle where they nest. She's never cut the vine back. They nest in the most intermingled thick areas, and most summers there will be about 6 nests in the Honeysuckle.

Since she doesn't have any gardens - just shrubs and vines here and there - the babies come to our gardens to feed which is truly a wonder. They are so small!

Thanks for the map Donn.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Those little birdies haven't moved north any since 3/8. Maybe they decided to stop and rest for a long weekend.

I wanna see them advance.

Sue

• penny1947
    17 years ago

They will stay along the coast to rest bulk back up after crossing the Gulf before hitting the northern trail again. Now that it is starting to get a little crowded down there we should see some inland push within the next few days.

Penny

• new2nocarolina
    17 years ago

Oh, love to see them ! Since we've moved here you would not believe the amount of sugar I purchase just to make nectar ! I have about 10 feeders out, both in front of the house and behind. And you are right, they are territorial little buggers. I have found that if you make one feeder more sweet than the others, the most dominant one will protect that one and not seem to care about the other ones. Last year we had one get in the garage. Arghh... what a bother to get him out ! Poor thing was all tuckered out and just would not fly back out on his own. We have since covered the garage door emergency pull thingie with an old white sock. ( the handle and cord are red)We think that was what enticed him in there in the first place.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Have to laugh - i bookmarked this site last year and told several people about it. Then i forgot to record when our hummingbirds first arrived! They usually come around the third week in May, and i guess by then i was too busy playing with my new plants to remember about the site. The hummingbirds are always welcome, though - love 'em!

• penny1947
    17 years ago

The garage door handle is a very common problem. If you ever have a hummer get into the garage you can hang a feeder at the opening to the garage and the hummer will be able to find his way out. When they become enclosed, their normal instinct is to fly upwards instead of out. They will quickly spot the feeder if left on their own and fly out unharmed.. You can also cover the red handle as new2nocarolina did with a sock or with black electrical tape or paint it a different color.

Penny

• circa1825
    17 years ago

We get loads of hummingbirds here. This map will be a great help. Usually the hummers make their initial presence known by buzzing me on my way to the chicken coop... they know that after I'm done with the chickens, I'll come back to set up the hummingbird feeder. Now I can just have the feeder ready and waiting for them. We get so many hummers that they run the feeder dry pretty quickly. When that happens, one hummer will go around the house looking to see which room I'm in and hover outside that window until I notice it. Then I'll go out and refill the feeder. I think I must get the same group of hummers every year because this has been going on for four years and every year they go through this same pattern of notification. Another reason I think it's the same group is that they'll drink from the feeder while I'm trying to hang it up, like they remember me and know that I'm not going to hurt them. The hummers love to feed from and sit on my Rose of Sharon and my Fantasia Mixed Colors Delphiniums.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Hummers do return to the same area they were the previous year and often to the same feeder location. They will continue to come to the same gardens, feeders and habitat as long as it supports their needs. If you maintain a feeder any nectar in a feeder should be cleaned out and replaced with fresh nectar ever 2-3 days especially once the temps hit the 80's as it will ferment and is not safe for your hummers. If someone doesn't have time to maintain a feeder properly you should opt for growing plants instead. I make enough nectar to fill my feeders every other day during the summer. I make the nectar, let it cool a and clean and fill each feeder first thing in the morning before they arrive. If you only have a few hummers you don't have to fill the feeder to the top. Putting only 4-6 ounces is sufficient and it won't waste as much nectar each time you change it out.

Penny

• kellyanne67
    17 years ago

I think I just saw a scout about 10 minutes ago. I have a feeder hung already, it's been up for a week. I also started some red tulips and white daffodils with red centers in pots and put them out and they are blooming. I hope that combination attracts the birds to my yard again this summer.

I hung another feeder to be on the safe side.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

They're here, but I haven't seen any.

Do they like daffodils? What about Impatiens or Petunias? There aren't too many things blooming now, but I have some impatiens and petunias blooming under lights in the basement. It's too early to put them out but I would be willing to sacrifice some (in case of an early frost) to get some hummers here.

Lime

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

Must buy sugar today- I keep forgetting.

Karen

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Wow! I had no idea that they came to Kansas this early!! I saw them a LOT last summer (late) - they loved my Zinnias & Sedums & Honeysuckle. Guess I'd better get that feeder cleaned up & filled ASAP! My daughter & I love to watch them. Thanks for the post, Donn!

Ilsa

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kellyanne,
    They don't normally use tulips or daffodils but they may if they don't have any other nectar sources. Having a fresh feeder up will help.

Lime
    They will use impatiens and they will investigate the petunias but again the hybrid petunias aren't normally usedbecause there is little or no nectar in them, but they do use the wild petunias some. The petunias do tend to attract tiny insects b/c of their somewhat sticky flowers and stems that the hummers will eat. You can always put your impatiens and petunias out during the day and bring them in at dusk if the temps get low. I usually try and get something started very early so that I do have something blooming when they arrive here. I usually have impatiens and or fucshias that I start from cuttings of the previous year's plants ready to bloom or in bloom when they arrive. This year I also have 2 Abutilons, Lantana, and a couple of salvias in bloom right now but it is still way too cold here to put anything outside. I am not looking for my hummers to arrive here until at least the last week of April so I should be in good shape weatherwise by then. However if one does show up early I am ready and I do have one feeder out in back and another will go out in front as soon as the first dot appears for NY state or April 15th, whichever comes first.

Penny

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

OK, I got sugar today and the feeder is up, but I rarely see one before late April or early May. It seems early for them to be this far north, but it has been ususually warm here.

Karen

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Oh, I can't wait to see them again! Last year was the first time I saw the little hummers in my garden. They especially loved the morning glories, cypress vine, B & B salvia, and Mexican sunflowers.
    I seem to be at least two weeks behind on my garden chores this spring, and must put together a trellis for the scarlet runners and cypress vines. This weekend as I work I'll be listening for the familiar humming/buzzing sound. . .
    Thanks, Donn, for the heads up! :)

• highalttransplant
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information about the garage door pull! When we moved last spring, the hummingbird feeder was broken, so we didn't have one up, and no yard or garden yet either, but a couple of times I was in the garage and a hummer buzzed right by my head and then left. I had no idea it was the garage door pull that he was investigating. I'll cover it with some black electrical tape or something. I think it will be a while yet before they make it to the western side of Colorado, and I hope that the bee balm is blooming by then. I'm WS some agastache rupestris and columbine to help attract them, but may not have any blooms this year.

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

One of our little guys is back today. He's fighting the wind gusts to get to the feeder outside my window.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I've read/heard for years that the color red brings the HB's. The only red I had for the first 2 years was that in the Coreopsis tinctoria and the red in my Harlequin Marigold year 2 and 3...more maroon than anything...and I get tons of vistors all year (except winter of course!)long. My neighbor has had no red at all of any kind. They first show with the blooming of my Cherry Tree, almost completely ignoring the feeder (a few days from now) and now blooming Catmint. During the summer they still flock to the purple/lavender flowered Catmint, Petunia, Monarda, Salvia and Thyme. Last year I had the African Blue Basil and that was a hit as well. If I can draw them to my yard without even planning for them, I can only imagine what the Knautia, Maltese Cross, Monarda 'Garden Scarlet, Cypress Vine and Red Serenade Morning Glory will bring....yeeeeeeehaw!!!

Vera

• penny1947
    17 years ago

For our Ontario Canada wintersowing humgardeners, the first hummer has been reported in Hamilton, Ont. today. It arrived on April 11th. if you haven't already hung up your feeder, it is time to dust it off, fill and hang it up.

Penny

• mudinmyshorts
    17 years ago

There is a very good chance that some hummers have finally returned to my place. My feeder has been out for about ten days and today was the first day its been touched. I haven't had a sighting yet, but the liquid level is down about a half inch and so I really do think they are here and I'll probably confirm it this weekend when I don't have to work.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

MIMS,
    No sitings or reports for all of NY State yet but I have three feeders up...one window feeder, The early perky pet that they always come to first and one out back. I also have a couple of salvias, one lantana, one fuchsia, one calliandra and an abutilon in bloom and ready for them when they do finally hit the state line.

I am starting to get just a tad impatient even though it is still early in the migration and they are still coming in across the Gulf.

Penny

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Penny; a tad impatient? Even though I have my feeders out and I don't normally see them until a month after they've been here in NJ, I keep hoping I'd be a dot on the map. Impatient? Me? YES!!!!! Misery does love company though ;)

The one plant (vine) I consider a "must have" is Mina lobata. Two years ago I had a huge one, and though my regulars didn't really use it much, it was a big hit with the migrators. Late year's winter sown Mina was devoured by the woodchuck :(

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

The only hummingbird photo I've ever gotten was in Vail, Colorado, last summer. I just looked up and there he was :)

Apparently this one likes petunias.

{{gwi:364504}}

Lisa

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    He is a beauty. My hummers have checked out the petunias but that was as far as they went . I suppose if I didn't have a yard full of salvias for them they would use the petunias.

Tracy,
    You are so right misery does love company....glad to have you in my company LOL!

Penny

• seedmama
    17 years ago

Ohmygosh! I can't believe I forgot to post. I saw my first of the season Sunday about 3:30. My mom fed them when I was a kid, so at the time they seemed like just another commonplace part of summer. This was the smallest I've ever seen. I don't know if it was a baby or a variety I'm not familiar with, but it was definitely a hummer. She was drinking out of my hyacinth blooms, not the least bit afraid of me two feet away. Didn't have a camera. I've had a new camera phone charging in the house for over a month, but I've been so immersed in gardening I haven't bothered to activate it. Now I'm motivated.

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

I've had my feeder up for weeks but no sightings here yet.

Karen

• drippy
    17 years ago

First today at 10:10 - same date as last year!

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Karen I am still waiting too as the map fills in all around me.

Penny

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

I wish I could share. I get hummers no matter what. I don't even put out feeders. They just come. And they dive bomb people on the porch.

Congratulations to all of you in areas where they are not so common. You are really doing well in luring the little buzzers.

• aerofan1
    17 years ago

still waiting here in southeast michigan! it does seem like they're dodging this area too! i've had my feeders up for about a month now. of course my eyes play tricks on me and i think i keep seeing something shoot through the yard. i'm sure they'll be here soon, last year was the first year i fed them and they came around about june. i'm trying to be patient! i miss the little hummers. it's nice to find a site with so many other hummer lovers, i'll keep in touch!
    michelle

• mudinmyshorts
    17 years ago

I have today confirmed the arrival of a nice male ruby throated hummer. I saw him twice late in the day today at the same feeder so he has clearly found it and is deliberately returning to it. Won't be long now before he is busy fending off competitors!

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

did you see the cool web-cam over on the hummingbird forum? VERY cool!

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's the Nest Cam link.

Username= guest
    Password= guest

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Nest Cam

• mudinmyshorts
    17 years ago

She's beautiful. She must have set up shop in a rose bush or hedge. There are lots of thorns on those branches. I have a pair visiting my feeders daily now but I have not been able to locate their nest. The past three years I have seen them nesting in the front yard dominant pine, but I can't see the exact spot from the ground and have not seen the female traveling to that tree at all. The male has taken up his tradtional territorial roost overlooking the feeder. That will last until I see more birds show up and then I will set additional feeders throughout the yard. Then the male usually travels alot trying to cover all feeders (unsuccessfully) rather than roosting over the snigle one I have out presently.

• edjka50
    17 years ago

Arrival 5/5/07 of a ruby throated male was simply the best Cinco de Mayo celebration ever! Who knew that Apr. 16th snow storm would delay more air travel than hummingbirds? What a welcome to spring.

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

I saw my first yesterday at my feeder.

Karen

• carolkcmo_5
    16 years ago

Saw one at feeder on May 8.
    Thought they would be here sooner.

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Well, I didn't actually see one yet, and the migration chart doesn't show them as being here, but I KNOW I heard one yesterday while I was out in the garden!

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

I saw my first one yesterday and 2 today. they're already fighting over the feeders!

Barbi

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I saw my first female at 5:45pm last night. Haven't seen her this morning though, but seeing that first one is always a thrill...

• bonnys
    16 years ago

I put a fresh feeder out this morning and was just rewarded with my first siting of a hummingbird this year. Thank you so much for posting this map Donn....I put my feeder out as soon as I saw that they were in this area of Maine.
    Bonny

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH