SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adiro

Expired vitamins in the compost?

adiro
15 years ago

Hello

I have started a compost bin this August, at the suggestion of some nice members here. It is a smallish square bin purchased. I kept adding brown cardboard broken in little pieces, along with kitchen scraps and yard clippings that I actually collected from the park ( my yard is too small to yield more than a half pound.)

Anyway, being too enthusiastic I already used it ( it was nowhere near finished) about a month ago, making a little raised bed over newspapers, and I covered with burlap. That bed is now level with the ground, it decreased down to nothing...the burlap is still in place, the newspapers are still there ( wet), the compost turned into a thin layer of muddy dirt...)

please tell me if that's ok

Now the real question:

In my rush to make my bin full again (and it's only one third full) I started gathering stuff from my mom too. Then I cleaned up my meds drawer, and I threw in it the contents of some jars of expired vitamins and minerals, plus a really large jar of Calcium pills. Now it is after the fact, but I am wondering if the vitamins will hurt my plants in the long run? They have disolved already....

Thank you

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022