SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

Lignites, versus charcoal, versus char, versus wood chips

mensplace
14 years ago

I have read a lot lately about the role of lignin or lignites.. that confuses me almost as much as the differences between humus and humates, rock dust and mineral dust.

One could easily spend a FORTUNE on the miracle cures and organic fertilizer/soil conditioners!

Is it worth my time to add soft coal dusts, char or, even highly coposted wood chips?

Most humate sprays cost a LOT...is that better than just concentrating on developing humus via organic matter.

I live next to both mineral mines of all sorts..those for iron, those for granite, those for marble and others. My solid, deeply red clay yard is FULL of every manner of minerals. My understanding was that rock dust takes eons to break down and I question whether they would even help. I recently saw granite dust sold that was the consistency of sand!

IN the past I was told NEVER to use Dolomitic lime in this area because it "locks up the magnesium", so always use calcium carbonate.

Was also told never use ammonium nitrate or urea, but to use other forms of nitrogen.

There are SO many schools of thought. My one goal is simply to develop life in the soil through humus and essential organisms and trust that by adding good compost the rest will work. Seems somewhere I read also that even using too much composted manure for too long can be detremental. Simple NPK or PH test are not enough to me as it seems to approach soil as merely a vehicle to carry chemicals. SO much more I wish I knew about soil, life in the soil, and what to do each and every month to someday have that sweet smelling dark soil that just flows through your hands like you used to see on Victory Garden!

Comments (6)