SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonasky

What are your criterion for getting rid of plants?

yeonasky
12 years ago

While I love my Nepetas, Walker's Low and another unnamed one, I'm now looking at a whole yard covered in spent flowers. I haven't had time to cut them back, and also feel guilty when I do. I think of any creatures who might use the seed heads and then don't want to take their potential food. So I'm looking at something that doesn't really appeal to me and doing nothing about it. I enjoyed the mixed planting I had of Shasta daisy Becky and Nepeta, but that is done as well.

My goals. I would like to enjoy the garden further into the fall, with more colourful displays. The greyness of the nepetas is what's most unappealing to me.

My thought are:

Shovel Cut back Nepetas and add two other plants of progressively later bloom times, creating groupings of three plants whose bloom time potentially overlap.

Get rid of lots of Nepetas and replace with longer bloomers.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Some info. This is a small garden, and I don't have 8 to 10 foot borders, If I'm lucky I have five feet deep in some places. So the 10 or so Nepetas looks like a lot. I was trying to at least have one plant be spread around to give the garden cohesion. I suppose that the spent flowers everywhere is a type of cohesion. Not the type I wanted, but there you go.

Thanks,

Yeona

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022