SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Is it worth a try? please comment!!!

bart_2010
10 years ago

Hi, I am making a large garden on my land here in Tuscany, Italy. Supposedly it's around zone 8-9;very hot and dry in summer, mild winters. I've got lots of roses flourishing ,but now I'm staring to branch out,putting in other shrubs and plants. The garden is far from my home, and has no running water, so must depend on rainfall and what i can harvest or bring in.
I love azaleas and rhododendrons,but have never really tried to grow them seriously. Around here, you never see these grown in gardens, only in pots. I thought that this might be because the soil here is alkaline or something, but a neighbour is growing camellias in his yard, and they seem fine. Once I did try a small PJM rhodie in a pot, but it dwindled constantly. I even tried planting it out in the garden,preparing a spot with lots of peat moss and soil for acid.loving plants, but to no avail; it just continued to dwindle and then died. For what it's worth, I had bad experiences with rugosa roses,which seemed similar to what happened with the PJM : a total refusal to grow and thrive (and most roses do very well for me...)
So I am so curious! I read somwhere on Internet a description of heat stress on rhodies,and this seemed to describe what happened to mine. Is this area just too hot in summer for azaleas and rhodies? But if so, how do these people manage to grow them in pots (and they are big pots, too)? If it's alkaline soil, why didn't the fact that I changed the soil for the PJM have no effect (and the plant was too small to have out-grown the prepared hole)? and why would camellias do better? I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about this. It's not that I'm so determined on growing something that can't thrive in my area, it's just that I'm going crazy trying to figure out just exactly what it is that might prevent folks from growing azaleas and rhodies out in gardens in this area!!!By the way, I seem to remember that around the lake of Como, further north, both azaleas and rhodies thrive... bart

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting