SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tudorrose_gw

need urgent help re soil mix screw up

tudorrose
17 years ago

So my backyard is coming into reality and the contractors should be finished today or tomorrow. I have put in all raised beds and the contractor told me the soil would have a good % compost. Well it just got dumped outside my house and it doesn't look very composty to me. So I took the # off the side of the truck and called the company providing it and asked what the composition of the order is. Turns out its 65% sand, 25% silt and 10% clay. No compost at all!

I talked to the contractor on friday and told him I garden and asked what the soil would be as its important to me that it be good stuff and would it have compost in it, oh yes he said. So i just called him to tell him this is not adequate and he says that he will ahve them put bagged compost into it.

Is this even worth saving? My beds are about 100sq ft and 2-2.5 feet dep. This is only 3 tons of topsoil which is supposed to fill 300 sq ft 2inches deep so this will only fill my beds about 6 inches. If I fill the rest with organic matter will this work?

A local rock yard sells a 50% mulch 50% manure mix or shredded composted manure on its own or faorest mulch on its own. i could buy some of that if it would help.

I want to grow good flowers and veggies!

What should I do?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County