SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grabmebymyhandle

Just sharing more strange pics

grabmebymyhandle
10 years ago

This calla "captain Ibiza" has been a sight from day one!
I bought 2 of the actually, both had one red/orange impressive bloom, but I was drawn to the foliage...it's thicker and even more rubbery than most callas, it also has an unusual elongated firm to the leaf, very different than in used to. It's also shorter as well, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a dwarf...
I'm guess its got some extra chromosomes, it's just a bit too weird to just be a highly hybridized, but I don't know...
They grew quick, pushed out several blooms each... Well several of those blooms emerged as doubles, with 2 spadices, facing opposite directions!
It still maintained much of the simple elegance that callas are so famous for, I was glad of that, I've never been much on callas, and I got these for my old lady, but like I said their foliage and form is very intriguing to me, she approved if the double flowers, so all was well. Her pretty plants had now become that much more interesting to me!
So flash forward a month, blooms abound, some single, mostly doubles, each different! And lots of the, the first blooms are still hanging, swelling with seeds, but still holding color, at 6 weeks, can't beat that!
They are slowing a bit, I may thin some "spent flowers" out, ill let the most mature seed out as they have a chance, being this early.
I've had my eye on this one bloom tho, it's showed about a week ago, well it opened and... I'm at a loss, it looks like Mickey Mouse and have a crest spadix!
Ill get pics up pronto!

Comments (10)

Sponsored