SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Overhead watering experiment with new/er plantings

whaas_5a
11 years ago

So I decided to try overhead watering to save myself some time. In doing so I wanted to see how much water I was actually using.

Typically I water the plants directly with a soaker attachment. Last year's plants get watered to the drip line and this year's plants just get a general soaking in the center.

It takes 8 hours to water these plants but I haven't tracked how much water I use during this time. I plan to do that later next week.

Back to overhead watering. It took 15 hours to complete the watering. Basically enough water to get a few inches (or more) worth of soil moist.

I used 488 cu. ft. or roughly 3,600 gallons of water. That is unbelievably embarrassing if you ask me.

Very curious to how it shakes out the other way around. My inital swag would be half the amount of water. So 1,800 gallons per week could be wasted by me using the overhead watering method.

The point of my post? I don't know I guess I just wanted to ramble or perhaps point out that overhead watering appears to be a terrible idea for new plantings.

Comments (9)