SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindi_ks

Enable me some more

Cindi_KS
15 years ago

This morning my favorite nursery marked all their roses down, and I made a wish list of sorts, then thought I would poll people here because I can't have them all!

Here's what's left that I am considering:

Graham Thomas

Gertrude Jekyll

Sweet Promise

Elizabeth Taylor

Barbra Streisand

Dolly Parton

Secret

Sky's the Limit

Peter Mayle

Gentle Giant

Night Owl

Sheila's Perfume

Spellbound

Heaven on Earth

Sonia

I have an Austin bed with a few empty spaces, and an empty trellis in my purple bed, and I absolutely love coral, and floribundas. I have a shed with Autumn Sunset and Jacob's Robe on it--do you think Sky's the Limit would clash or complement the colors?

It's silly, but Liz Taylor, Barbra and Dolly would not be the easiest to grow, but I like the namesakes, and 2 of those are heavily scented. Dolly's a weird color so she would have to grow with Chihuly and Rainbow Sorbet, but that might be a nice combination.

Well, what do you think?

Blackspot is a problem here, and I do have to mulch in the winter, just a bit. I have plenty of space, not so much money.

Cindi

Comments (23)

• triple_b
    15 years ago

well for a bigger yellow rose there is Graham Thomas
    {{gwi:306274}}

for a smaller yellow but still lovely there is Molineux
    {{gwi:306275}}

That is all I can help you with on your list. oh, here is another of molineux:
    {{gwi:306277}}

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do have Molineux, and was thinking Graham Thomas would go next to him, down the row from Golden Celebration and Teasing Georgia. I have daylilies all around them, and kind of like the blend. Only bad part is I can't get in close to smell them while the daylilies have blooms.
    I was holding that space for a more recent Austin such as The Pilgrim, Charlotte, Janet or Tea clipper. I have not been able to find those locally, though.
    Love your photos, thanks!

• Related Discussions

Let's enable each other for some final Vintage purchases!

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow, catspa - that Buff Beauty picture is stunning. My Buff Beauty is in part shade and doesn't reach the magnificence of your photo! Judith, you have some great roses already on your list. Earlier this year I also ordered Pink Puff, Pink Bountiful, Sonoma, Cathedral, Bon-Bon, Peach Beauty, Helene Schoen, Carrousel, Akebono, and Verona. How did I miss Nocturne?? See - the enabling is already rebounding. I also have to heartily encourage Marlowe's Soft Orange. It snuck in a bloom when I bought it this year and it's the loveliest apricot I've ever seen in a climber. Don't let the word "orange" scare anyone off - it's a keeper. If you want a great dark red, Karl Herbst has been surprisingly vigorous for a second year plant. I missed its first bloom cycle for photos, but I'll see if it has recycled and post a photo. Cynthia
    ...See More

Some Enabling ...Please

Q

Comments (7)
    Fascination is also scented. There are a few others, as well. I am not sure how big the climbing Eden gets but 4 roses would be overwhelming for an arbor that size. I have two roses on an arbor that is 8ft x 5 ft and they have covered it. Of course, you can always get another arbor and two more roses since it is your anniversary... Carol
    ...See More

Enable me with some large flowered Clematis

Q

Comments (10)
    I think unless you can find some good ones locally right now (they're becoming very scarce) I would consider putting together an order for fall. Joy Creek is an excellent source as is Brushwood Nursery, and Chalk Hill. Donahue's is also a good source although a little smaller but the price is also easier on your wallet. :) I think these online sources will be updating their online catalogs soon. I was thinking of e-mailing them to find out when they do that...you might consider doing that as well. Most have a click on 'contact us.' I'll get you started with Joy Creek. :) Lots of pics to look at too! Here is a link that might be useful: Joy Creek Nursery
    ...See More

accidentally enabled some Google feature

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks, Ana, this one says Google at the top and the bottom. I think it is called Google Gadgets. It can be disabled in total, or in parts. I was just checking on the weather thing, and it is supposed to revolve between major US cities. However, this is stuck on SF. Oh, well my mom, sis and nieces live in the SF Bay Area. I can surprise them by knowing what weather they are having before they tell me! Lorna
    ...See More
  • greenhaven
    15 years ago

Well, so here ya go!

Barbra Streisand smells every bit as lovely as she looks. Mine is new this year, but so far she is vibrant and very healthy and I don't spray, or spray organically on rare occassions. because she is new I cannot comment on hardiness, either. She is, after all, an HT, so I wouldn;t be surprised if she dies to the ground over winter. I did plant her bud union deep.

{{gwi:306279}}

{{gwi:301717}}

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Forgot to say I also have Night Owl. It, too, is new to me, but again, so far it is very clean, very healthy. I am not as enamored as I thought I would be with it, and it is far from 'vigorous' as yet. I think I will be much happier when it gets big enough to train on the fence and be a great backdrop for 'Honey Dijon.'

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greenhaven,
    Night Owl ended up on my short list as a replacement for Burgundy Iceberg. We've had a lot of rain lately, and Burgundy Iceberg looks just like the Dr. Huey I just pulled out. Not a pretty purple AT ALL. I mistakenly planted Honey Dijon next to Easy Going and Honey Bouquet and of course it blooms nonstop and the whole blend is just gruesome. It does belong next to something like Night Owl, so thanks for that idea!
    I grew Barbra twice before and lost her both times to winter freeze/thaws. I think with careful site selection and mulching, she might be worth the effort. Your pic reminded me of how beautiful she was.
    I just remembered the nursery also had Gingersnap, and an old thread had lots of people raving about it. Any newer comments on that one?

• alisande
    15 years ago

I'm not much help except to say my Gertrude Jekyll's scent puts me in an altered state (the best kind). It's the only rose I bought two of.

I don't have Secret but I've seen it (and smelled it) and it's stunning.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

lol, yeah, you definitely want to keep HD away from the yellows! It looks fantastic with the NO, whether the NO is wine or purple. Behind and to the right I have planted a band of Cornelia. I hope when they all grow up they will look as great as they do in my head!

• artemis_pa
    15 years ago

I have Gentle Giant and it is a beautiful, hardy and healthy rose for me. The blooms are huge, bright and clear pink. It survived my zone 5 winter with little protection. It has a mild, sweet scent.
    I also have Gertrude Jekyll. Love her. Incredible scent, beautiful color. She gets a bit leggy, so I prune hard after the spring flush.
    I lost Heaven on Earth over the winter. Beautiful blooms and wonderful sweet scent.

• katefisher
    15 years ago

I just want to vote for Night Owl. Mine was new last year and I'm ashamed to say I was really mean to it:( It sat forever in a nursery pot, underwatered, neglected. Finally planted in blazing all day sun. Then I moved it again this spring and now it is recovering and blooming. Celeste has a picture of it over on the Gallery right now.

I see that for Greenhaven it is not a favorite but I think its really pretty. Much more purple than Dr. Huey, no doubt. I hope its hardy for you that would be my only concern.

Hope this helps.

Kate

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Kate, wait! Gimme some time! :) I fully expect to love it....soon!

• katefisher
    15 years ago

I hope it does really catch your fancy Greenhaven. I think that's a cool rose. Clearly you like it too or you never would have bought it. I realize it might take a while for you to get super attached to it:)

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

I planted Peter Mayle this spring, but can't say too much about it because it hasn't done too much yet. However, it came highly recommended on this forum for its good disease-resistance and large (dark pink) blooms and fragrance. Mine is forming its first bud right now--can't wait to see it bloom! If it lives up to its recommendations on this forum, it should be a first-rate rose.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Mayle at Helpmefind

• sunnishine
    15 years ago

I agree with dublin ...mine is slow to start so far too but I highly recommend secret and heaven on earth. Both awesome.

I opted for Golden Celebration instead of graham thomas. There were many who suggested it would do better in my area so you may want to check on that.

I have read that Barbara is a BS nightmare and not vigorous enough. It is bad enough that it is on here as one of the "dog" roses.

Heaven on earth is a must have. The first year the blooms will nod but this year mine has sent up new canes about 5 feet tall and no more nodding blooms. It is simply gorgeous.

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, so far, Night Owl, Heaven on Earth, Gertrude Jekyll, Graham Thomas, are ones to get. I'm thinking more about Gentle Giant and Spellbound. Doesn't anyone grow Sweet Promise, Dolly Parton or Sky's the Limit?
    I did already buy Vavoom, Laura Bush, Brandy, Chihuly, Outrageous, Tuscan Sun and Happy Chappy. I must have been in an orange mood, or maybe those are the colors that didn't sell well this year? I'm hoping the colors work well together.

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Oh, I LOVE my Chihuly, and I am not an orange nor a gaudy rose person! But those blooms draw you in ... it is a favorite among all my family...and the rest of them are boys!

• curlydoc
    15 years ago

Don't forget Sheila's Perfume, a glowing beauty with exquisite perfume.

Sheila's Perfume
    {{gwi:306282}}

Sheila's Perfume
    {{gwi:306283}}

Sheila's Perfume
    {{gwi:306284}}

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Someone needs to invent a computer with perfume emitters so we could smell these beautiful photos. That Sheila's Perfume is lovely. I'm a real sucker for yellow and pink blends. I have a whole collection of daylilies with the pink/yellow blend. Slowly, I'm rearranging my plants, putting daylilies in with roses of the same colors. I hate to transplant anything while it's in bloom, but that's the only way to make sure the colors do blend.
    We have a long warm fall season here, and roses are often still in bloom late in October, so I don't think of July as late to plant. How low do nurseries go on clearance in your area? I rarely get good buys locally, because many places just winter the roses over.

• alla_pa
    15 years ago

Cindy,
    I highly recommend Peter Mayle, large flowers, nice fragrance, almost everblooming, very vigorous. In my garden, he never gets PM and has a good BS resistance (so far, I've sprayed him just once, after spring pruning, and he's still completely clean).

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Of those on your list, I only grow Secret. She is a good HT and grows well here without winter protection. DW's favorite:

{{gwi:300711}}

Greenhaven - If you can grow Barbara Streisand in northern Illinois, in a no spray garden, you will win some sort of an award!

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After my third trip to the nursery, one of the workers there said "you have a serious addiction, don't you?"
    Well, some of the roses were for my mother's garden, but I would call it more of a rose passion than an addiction. I bought: Graham Thomas, Night Owl, Heaven on Earth, Bishop's Castle, Catalina, Mon Cheri, and...drum roll...Cinco de Mayo! It only had the nursery tag with AARS 2009 floribunda WEKcobeju but I guessed who it was, yippee! I'm really fighting the urge to go back for Peter Mayle and Dolly Parton. Dolly's parents are excellent roses in my yard--(Fragrant Cloud x Oklahoma) and I could actually plant her right by those two, make her feel at home. Thanks for all the responses, guys. I love looking at the photos on here! Keep 'em coming!
    cindi

• bethnorcal9
    15 years ago

Well, of the ones on your list, the only really good pics I have this season are these two. My HEAVEN ON EARTH is new for me this yr, and altho it appears it's going to be a nice healthy grower, I'm not too happy with the hanging blooms. They arch and hang down like a lot of the DA's. And so far I'm not that impressed with the blooms. My SECRET gets thrips all the time, so rarely looks good (I try not to spray). GENTLE GIANT is ok, but doesn't bloom much. Love the color of its blooms tho. PETER MAYLE, NIGHT OWL and SHEILA'S PERFUME haven't done a lot in the few yrs I've had them. Altho, my SP is an own-root and got off to a very slow start early on. GRAHAM THOMAS is ok, but I'm enjoying GOLDEN CELEBRATION much more!

One thing to consider is, everybody's experiences with all these roses will be different. Regions, climate, elevation, cultural practices will all be different and yield different results. I don't fertilize as much as I should. Some spots in my yard are less fertile than others. I also don't spray for fungus or bugs. Yet. So keep in mind all these factors will affect how your roses or someone else's perform.

DOLLY PARTON - has big fat glowing blooms, but she doesn't repeat as well as I'd like.
    {{gwi:306285}}

SPELLBOUND - has really impressed me in this its second season. I really like this one!
    {{gwi:306286}}

• Cindi_KS
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth, I held off buying Heaven on Earth and Bishops Castle because the blooms were hanging when I saw the first flush in the nursery. Later, I saw older bushes in a city display bed and decided these must need a year or so to toughen up, or maybe they don't grow well in pots in greenhouses. I'm hoping that's the case, anyway. I don't spray or fertilize as much as most people around here, but my soil is terrific, and I space them far enough apart that they can dry off and "breathe". I put Graham Thomas in with Golden Celebration, Molineux, Teasing Georgia, and Crown Princess Margarita so we'll see who is the best of that crowd. If my Scent From Above doesn't do better, it will lose its spot to The Pilgrim next year. It seems like the weak-necked ones do better after a few years in the ground.
    My way of looking at climatic differences is, if people in Iowa can grow a certain rose, then I have a chance with it here. If people in California can't grow one, then I have no chance at all with it. Most years, we have all the extremes in weather.
    That photo of Spellbound sure makes it tempting!
    Thanks

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

"Greenhaven - If you can grow Barbara Streisand in northern Illinois, in a no spray garden, you will win some sort of an award!"

LOL! Time will tell, Harry, time will tell! My first year with a compulsive aquisition problem, so I will probably learn a lot about my choices, whether they were good ones or poor ones.

With Barbra, so far so good. She sure is pretty. If she turns out to be dog, I will replace her with Neptune.