SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellva

direct seed sowing and layer of leaves

shellva
17 years ago

Hi everyone, I figured this was the best forum to post my question, I hope so anyway...

The other day I put down a couple of bags of leaves and coffee grounds in one section of my garden. I haven't put down any paper or mulch.

After I had already done this, I got to thinking that I would like for things like Cosmos and bachelor buttons, love in a mist, maybe even some larkspur to grow in that area next summer.

I know I should be throwing those seeds out there soon for my growing zone (on the cusp zone 7b-8a). Would it be okay to throw the seeds on top of the leaf/coffee ground mess or should I just forget the whole idea for this next growing season?

I've been gardening for many years but I've never had much success with direct sowing. Last year around Dec. or Jan I threw out love in a mist seeds and WOW, I had more than what I'd call success! But I threw those seeds out on top of mulch.

The situation I'm describing now is a bit different or is it? I would appreciate ANY information or advice on this matter. Whatever I do, I need to be doing it here soon so please help???

Thanks!

Michelle

Comments (6)