SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

What bug or pest is getting fat on my roses??

piper101
15 years ago

Hi all, Photobucket is giving me problems (the part to upload pictures just isn't there, weird) and you can't actually get a hold of anyone there, so I hope my descriptions will do.

BACKGROUND: The rose is a potted, bare root Liv Tyler...Was doing just fine,,when I was on vacation I had girls down the street water my garden. When I came back, the potted bush had defoliated almost all the leaves. PROBLEM: The opened buds I have are strange, when they were starting to open, I noticed on the open bud, that you could see all the way down into the green anthers, stamens or stigmas. The petals are super short and still there but it's almost like you have the top of a green triangle, sepal shaped, that are coming out of the center of the rose bud. The petals are shorter than I remember but still have a nice smell. I haven't "seen" any bugs or hoppers but that doesn't mean something isn't there.

I'm sorry that photobucket for me anyway, is on the blink as I'm sure a picture would be much better than me telling you what I see. I do have a few buds that are almost ready to open that so far, look okay, but I won't know for about a week I'd say.

None of my other roses are having this problem.

What do you all think? Is this a pest or the result of defoliation? It now has 1/2 the leaves it used to on the overall bush. It's been planted for several months in the pot. Let me know, Thx, Nicole

Comments (6)