SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redteddy_gw

Salt water damage to soil

redteddy
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I live in Rockaway, NY and our property suffered from six feet of salt water flooding due to Hurricane Sandy. Before this occurred we had a large beautiful diverse flower garden which is now destroyed. I am very concerned with what may be going on with our soil which is now inundated with salt and god only knows what else. I have made one application of Gypsum to the lawn and planting areas but I need to know what else I can or should do. Its really devastating; dead plants, salt crystals on top of the soil, my newly planted 12ft Okame tree probably won't survive. I've discovered dead ladybugs as well as dead worms, one freaked out squirrel and the birds seem to have abandoned the area.

Should I just add a second application of Gypsum and wait for spring?

What should I add in the spring to restore the soil so it can again give life to my plants? Rock dust? Compost? Worm castings? What?

Should I have my soil tested?

We had severe damage to our garage and we're still without heat and electricity but I know the insurance will come through and we can repair all that damage. But the garden and the damage to the soil isn't really something anyone out here is concerned with at the moment. I can't say I blame them but I'm a gardener, albeit a new gardner, and its a nightmare dealing with polluted soil.

So please if anyone can give me some solid advice I would really appreciate it.

I haven't cut down everything in the garden as yet since I am hoping some of my climbing roses or maybe one or two hydrangeas might make it. Its doubtful but I can hope. I cut down my massive Montauk daisy bush to 12 inches and think their may be some life in it yet. I'm also hoping the Okame will survive.

Its such a sorry sight none of you would believe it, ovvernight green grass and flowers EVERYTHING turned from green to black!

Comments (14)