SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Are my beneficials benefiting?

User
12 years ago

I don't spray insecticides on my roses, mainly because I fear scaring away the beneficial insects. From what I have read here, hosting these beneficials is important.

However, every spring I find many of my roses consumed by roseslug. While it does not effect the growth of my roses, it is plain ugly to look at. Some of them are really decimated by roseslug and it takes months for my roses to look decent. The pots have terrible roseslug damage as well, leading me to believe they live in the pot soil.

Picking off the roseslug is not an option for me as I have two children and two elderly parents to take care of. I work part-time at times so I don't have much time left. Spraying them with water or insecticide soap does not do much as you pretty much have to do it daily and I can't.

When we have a dry spring (not this year!) I tend to get spider mite, which I realize is a mite, not an insect. I can't spray daily for that either.

So how are the beneficial insects really benefiting me? My roses look very crummy from all of these non-beneficials.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH