SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Nightly Beneficials Visiting My Garden At Night!!!

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

It's been a few nights already, I looked out my window and my garden is lit up with tiny glow in the dark lightning bugs! I looked them up and they are definitely a beneficial!

This morning in a short walk through, I found a little half grown praying mantis perched on one of my patty pans! A nice message? It is too small to do battle with squash bugs, don't think the praying mantis can take on a big hard armored squash bug, but I have my hopes. They are resistant anyways and the lady bug seems to be doing battle with them more than any bug.

Does anyone know for sure what fly is a good bug eater? It is supposed to be a big fly, I've heard of horse flies, are these the beneficials?

My supposed to be long neck yellow squash decided it was time to grow right. I actually saw long neck yellow squash growing instead of crooked neck. I'm happy, and they are starting to grow faster, I've harvested 4 small crooked neck so far, which is not a good harvest considering what they grow. Out of 7, I may get one, but now I see a slight change! Looks good, but not perfect.

What can be planted still? What about kiwis? Green beans? I have seeds and would like to throw them out there. I planted my 3 casa banana plants yesterday, they didn't grow very big in the bucket, but now in the garden, it might be different.

I planted a sweet potato and something got most of it. It had pretty shoots all over it, I found the hole and could only find one. Don't know what that could have been. The sweet potato still there, but it was an attack just the same.

Comments (2)